Calculating Electric Field at the Center of a Charged Hemisphere

In summary: Then integrate:Ah. You've made your ##\phi## cover the area twice, once from the x-y plane up to the zenith, and then from the zenith back down to the plane. Remember that the ##\theta## will swing the vector all the way around (since it's going from 0 to ##2\pi##), so at any given ##\phi## elevation it will already be swept around the whole surface. Make ##\phi## go from 0 to... well, let's make it go from -1 to 1 so it covers the whole surface again. Then integrate:
Saitama

Homework Statement

I have to find the electric field at the center of a hemisphere of radius R with charge density σ.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The easiest way would be to select a ring element of small thickness, find the electric field due to it and integrate.
I am trying to do it by an another method. Let's select a small element of area dA subtending a solid angle dΩ at the center, then
[tex]dA=(dΩ)R^2[/tex]
Charge of this small element is σdA=σ(dΩ)R^2.
Therefore, electric field due to this element is
[tex]dE=\frac{kσ(dΩ)R^2}{R^2}[/tex]
The last job is to resolve the electric field into two components (see attachement) and integrate them separately but i am stuck here. I can't proceed after this because of the cosθ and sinθ.

Attachments

• hemi.png
    hemi.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 377
Physics news on Phys.org
Your solid angle differential element dΩ would need to be swept over the surface of the hemisphere. But this is not something that's inherent in the formalism for the solid angle element; you would need to impose "direction" of the element via some other mathematical mechanism, and you won't be integrating over dΩ...

Why not make your differential area out of a square patch ##(R d\theta)\times(R d\phi)## where ##\theta## and ##\phi## vary to cover the hemisphere? Use symmetry arguments to simplify the calculation (certain components of the field elements dE will cancel over the integration so they can be dropped).

gneill said:
Your solid angle differential element dΩ would need to be swept over the surface of the hemisphere. But this is not something that's inherent in the formalism for the solid angle element; you would need to impose "direction" of the element via some other mathematical mechanism, and you won't be integrating over dΩ...
Do you have a link (except wiki) which explains this in a simple way? I am not too much familiar with solid angles. :smile:

gneill said:
Why not make your differential area out of a square patch ##(R d\theta)\times(R d\phi)## where ##\theta## and ##\phi## vary to cover the hemisphere? Use symmetry arguments to simplify the calculation (certain components of the field elements dE will cancel over the integration so they can be dropped).

Assuming ##\theta## for the lateral surface of hemisphere and ##\phi## for semicircle, how do you get ##(R d\theta)\times(R d\phi)##. What i get is an expression like this: ##(R\sin\phi d\theta)\times(R d\phi)##. (see attachment)

Attachments

• dA.png
    dA.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 370
Last edited:
Pranav-Arora said:
Do you have a link (except wiki) which explains this in a simple way? I am not too much familiar with solid angles. :smile:
Sorry, I can't think of a website offhand. Maybe the Wolfram Mathworld site will have something.
Assuming ##\theta## for the lateral surface of hemisphere and ##\phi## for semicircle, how do you get ##(R d\theta)\times(R d\phi)##. What i get is an expression like this: ##(R\sin\phi d\theta)\times(R d\phi)##. (see attachment)

Yeah, you're right. The latitude influences the length of the arc of longitude for spherical coordinates. So the area element looks like

##dA = R^2 sin(\phi) d\theta d\phi##

gneill said:
Yeah, you're right. The latitude influences the length of the arc of longitude for spherical coordinates. So the area element looks like

##dA = R^2 sin(\phi) d\theta d\phi##

I am myself confused now. :confused:
It should be ##R\cos\phi## instead of ##R\sin\phi##

Ah, well for spherical coordinates the usual practice is to take the angle ##\phi## between the z-axis and the radial vector, rather than between the x-y plane and the vector.

gneill said:
Ah, well for spherical coordinates the usual practice is to take the angle ##\phi## between the z-axis and the radial vector, rather than between the x-y plane and the vector.

I am not aware of spherical coordinate system.
But is my expression for differential area correct?

Pranav-Arora said:
I am not aware of spherical coordinate system.
But is my expression for differential area correct?

It's fine for the appropriate choice of angles. Set up the integration of the resulting field elements. Again, take advantage of symmetry to simplify the calculation.

gneill said:
It's fine for the appropriate choice of angles. Set up the integration of the resulting field elements. Again, take advantage of symmetry to simplify the calculation.

Here's my attempt:
[tex]dA=R^2\cos(\phi)d\theta d\phi[/tex]
[tex]dq=σR^2\cos(\phi)d\theta d\phi[/tex]
[tex]dE=\frac{kdq}{R^2}[/tex]
[tex]dE=kσR^2\cos(\phi)d\theta d\phi[/tex]
We need to integrate only the sin component because the cos component cancels due to symmetry of the situation.
[tex]dE\sin(\phi)=\frac{1}{2}kσ\sin(2\phi)d\theta d\phi[/tex]
Integrating this, i get E=0. :confused:

What were the limits of your integration?

##\phi## from 0 to ##\pi## and ##\theta## from 0 to ##2\pi##.

Pranav-Arora said:
##\phi## from 0 to ##\pi## and ##\theta## from 0 to ##2\pi##.

Ah. You've made your ##\phi## cover the area twice, once from the x-y plane up to the zenith, and then from the zenith back down to the plane. Remember that the ##\theta## will swing the vector all the way around (since it's going from 0 to ##2\pi##), so at any given ##\phi## elevation it will already be swept around the whole surface. Make ##\phi## go from 0 to ##\pi/2##.

gneill said:
Ah. You've made your ##\phi## cover the area twice, once from the x-y plane up to the zenith, and then from the zenith back down to the plane. Remember that the ##\theta## will swing the vector all the way around (since it's going from 0 to ##2\pi##), so at any given ##\phi## elevation it will already be swept around the whole surface. Make ##\phi## go from 0 to ##\pi/2##.

Oh yes, i get it. I have got the right answer. Thanks a lot gneill. :smile:

This method is way easier than selecting a small ring element.

Glad it worked out. Cheers.

What is electric field?

Electric field is a physical quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force that a charged particle would experience if placed in that field.

How is electric field measured?

Electric field can be measured using a device called an electric field meter, which measures the force exerted on a test charge placed in the field. The unit of measurement for electric field is volts per meter (V/m).

What factors affect the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field depends on the magnitude of the source charge creating the field, and the distance from the source charge. The direction of the field is determined by the polarity of the source charge.

What is the difference between electric field and electric potential?

Electric field is a measure of the force experienced by a charged particle, while electric potential is a measure of the potential energy of a charged particle in an electric field. Electric potential is a scalar quantity, while electric field is a vector quantity.

How is electric field used in practical applications?

Electric field is used in various practical applications, such as in electrical circuits, motors, and generators. It is also used in technology such as capacitive touch screens and electrostatic precipitators. Understanding and controlling electric field is essential in the functioning of many electronic devices.