Finding entropy involving metal in water

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the change in entropy for a thermally isolated system where a piece of metal at 80C is placed into 1.2L of water at 72C, resulting in a final temperature of 76C. The conversation highlights the need to find the heat (Q) for the metal and water separately, but lacking information on the mass and heat capacity of the metal. Suggestions are given to find the mass of the water using its density, and to use a formula to calculate the change in entropy. It is also mentioned that since heat in equals heat out, the equation m_w c_w (349-345) = -m_m c_m (349-353) can be used to solve the
aal0315

Homework Statement

A piece of metal at 80C is placed into 1.2L of water at 72C. This thermally isolated system reaches a final temperature of 76C. Estimate the overall change of entropy for this system.

Homework Equations

deltaS = Q/T
Q=m*c*deltaT

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that i have to find Q for metal and water separately. correct? and if so i don't know how to find Q for the metal because i don't have its mass or what kind of metal it is to know its heat capacity.
does anyone have any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please, can anybody help me with this question?

aal0315 said:
i don't know how to find Q for the metal because i don't have its mass or what kind of metal it is to know its heat capacity.
does anyone have any suggestions?

The amount of heat that leaves the metal is equal to the amount of heat that goes into the water.

Last edited:
I don't think it's possible without the metal :|

AtticusFinch said:
The amount of heat that leaves the metal is equal to the amount of heat that goes into the water.

But don't I still need to know the type of metal or mass of metal to find the Q in order to find the deltaS for the metal?

And I don't even know how to find out the water part because what is 1.2L in kg?

aal0315 said:
But don't I still need to know the type of metal or mass of metal to find the Q in order to find the deltaS for the metal?

And I don't even know how to find out the water part because what is 1.2L in kg?

Well you can find the mass of the water using the density of the water. But I just noticed this process isn't isothermal so I do think you are lacking information here.

AtticusFinch said:
Well you can find the mass of the water using the density of the water. But I just noticed this process isn't isothermal so I do think you are lacking information here.

That's what I thought too.

there has to be a way to answer this question .. it is part of an assignment that I have to hand in, so any other suggestions?

Thinking about it some more there is a solution.

You should be able to show using a formula from your book that

[tex] \Delta S = m_w c_w ln(\frac{349}{345}) + m_m c_m ln(\frac{349}{353})[/tex]

Also, since heat in equals heat out

[tex] m_w c_w (349-345) = -m_m c_m (349-353)[/tex]

That's all you need to solve this problem.

thank you for the help!

AtticusFinch said:
Thinking about it some more there is a solution.

You should be able to show using a formula from your book that

[tex] \Delta S = m_w c_w ln(\frac{349}{345}) + m_m c_m ln(\frac{349}{353})[/tex]

Also, since heat in equals heat out

[tex] m_w c_w (349-345) = -m_m c_m (349-353)[/tex]

That's all you need to solve this problem.

I am having this same problem. What's the ln mean?

Related to Finding entropy involving metal in water

1. What is entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. In other words, it is a measure of how spread out the energy of a system is. Entropy always increases in a closed system, meaning that the disorder or randomness of the system will always increase over time.

2. How does metal interact with water to produce entropy?

When a metal is placed in water, a chemical reaction occurs between the metal and the water molecules. This reaction releases energy, causing the water molecules to move faster and become more disordered. This increase in disorder leads to an increase in entropy.

3. Why is finding entropy involving metal in water important?

Understanding the entropy involved in the interaction between metal and water can help us understand and predict the behavior of these systems. It is also important in industries such as water treatment and corrosion prevention, where the interaction between metal and water plays a crucial role.

4. How do you calculate the change in entropy for a metal-water system?

The change in entropy for a metal-water system can be calculated using the equation ΔS = q/T, where ΔS is the change in entropy, q is the heat released or absorbed during the reaction, and T is the temperature of the system. This equation is based on the principles of thermodynamics.

5. Can entropy be reversed in a metal-water system?

No, entropy cannot be reversed in a closed system. While it is possible to decrease the entropy in a localized area, the overall entropy of the system will always increase. This is due to the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time.