1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding equations of two lines

1. Feb 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find 2 lines in R3 that are not parallel and do not intersect.

2. Relevant equations

orthogonal: a.b=0
    parallel: a=tb

3. The attempt at a solution

(1,1,1) and (2,3,4)

(1,1,1).(2,3,4) = 7
    and there does not exist a t such that
    t(1,1,1) = (2,3,4)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

Is that all you're given? Any 2 lines would do?

Your answer doesn't include the starting point of the line vector it's supposed to be in: (x0,y0,z0) + t(a,b,c). The point (x0,y0,z0) isn't specified. That's why you haven't shown why they do not intersect.

4. Feb 14, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If fact, your answers are not lines at all! What you give look like points but I guess you mean them as vectors- and I presume you mean them as "direction" vectors for the lines. The fact that "(1,1,1).(2,3,4) = 7" shows that they are not perpendicular (not really relevant) and the fact that "there does not exist a t such that t(1,1,1) = (2,3,4)" shows that they are not parallel. Neither of those means they do not intersect.
    As defennnder said, you need to write them as lines with a parameter such as t. To do that, you will have to specify a point on them- and whether or not they intersect will depend on that point. For example, the lines [itex]\vec{r_1}= t\vec{i}+ t\vec{j}+ t\vec{k}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{r_2}= 2t\vec{i}+ 3t\vec{j}+ 4t\vec{k}[/itex] have direction vectors [itex]\vec{i}+ \vec{j}+ \vec{k}[/itex] and [itex]2\vec{i}+ 3\vec{j}+ 4\vec{k}[/itex] respectively and intersect at (0, 0, 0). You need to find skew lines.

5. Feb 14, 2008 #4

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First try to get the geometrical picture clear. Can you describe in words two lines that would do?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?