Finding f'(2): Solving a Tangent Line Problem

In summary, the problem asks for the value of f'(2) when the equation of the tangent line to the curve y=f(x) at point (2,3) is x-y+1=0. The derivative of a function at a given point is the slope of the tangent line to the graph at that point. The given equation of the tangent line is y=x+1, so the slope or derivative at point (2,3) is 1.
fitz_calc

Homework Statement

if the tangent line to the graph of y=f(x) at (2.3) has an equation x-y+1=0, then f'(2) =?

The Attempt at a Solution

We did these problems in one small session at the beginning of the semester, but my notes aren't clear and I am not sure where to begin. Do I just take the first derivative of the equation and then find f'(2)?

Physics news on Phys.org
If y=f(x) is a curve, then geometrically what is f'(x) ?
Can you solve now?

As I said on your other post (which was going the other way, from function to tangent), the derivative of a function, at a given x, is the slope of the tangent line to the graph there.

y=x+1
y`=1+0
y`=1

This is correct, but is my work correct -- or is the answer right only by coincidence?

Not correct. Did you follow the previous posts? y'(x) is the tangent of the curve y(x) for all valid x. You are given the equation of the tangent directly, and you are asked to find y'(2). Can you proceed?

Well, it is technically a correct method, as the slope of the line y=x+1 is found by taking the derivative

Hmm, according to the question the slope at point (2,3) is already given by y=x+1(correct me if my interpretation is wrong).

arunbg said:
Hmm, according to the question the slope at point (2,3) is already given by y=x+1(correct me if my interpretation is wrong).
What do you mean by "given by"? We are told that the tangent line is y= x+ 1. The derivative of the curve is the slope of the tangent line, which is 1.

Oops bad quick post, slope should be changed to tangent. Thanks for pointing out Halls. It's a matter of simple substitution of course. No differentiation involved.

Related to Finding f'(2): Solving a Tangent Line Problem

1. What is the concept of finding f'(2)?

The concept of finding f'(2) involves using the derivative of a function to find the slope of the tangent line at a specific point, in this case, the point (2, f(2)).

2. How is f'(2) calculated?

f'(2) is calculated by taking the limit as x approaches 2 of the function f(x) - f(2) divided by x - 2. This is known as the derivative definition and is represented mathematically as f'(2) = lim(x→2) (f(x) - f(2)) / (x - 2).

3. Why is finding f'(2) important?

Finding f'(2) is important because it allows us to determine the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on a curve. This information can be used in various applications, such as optimization problems and curve sketching.

4. Can f'(2) ever be undefined?

Yes, f'(2) can be undefined if the function f(x) is not differentiable at x = 2. This could happen if the function is not continuous or has a sharp turn at x = 2.

5. How can finding f'(2) be applied in real-world scenarios?

Finding f'(2) can be applied in real-world scenarios such as determining the maximum or minimum value of a function, finding the rate of change of a quantity, or determining the direction of movement of an object.