What is the net force on the rectangular loop due to the straight wire?

In summary: If the force on one side is F1 and the force on the other side is F2 then the net force is F1-F2.Hope this helps!In summary, the current loop has a net force of 1.54x10^-5Ndue to the parallel straight wire.
dangish
A rectangular loop of wire, L = 23.6 cm and W = 11.6 cm, carries a I1 = 1.70 A current and lies in a plane (d = 12.8 cm), which also contains a very long straight wire carrying a I2 = 12.2 A current as shown in the figure below. (Follow the link)

http://capaserv.physics.mun.ca/giancoli-calc/Graphics/Graph28/dgian2850.gif

Calculate the net force on the loop due to the straight wire.

First off, I realize that there is only a force on the two wires that are parallel to each other.

I tried using F1 = u0*I(1)*I(2) / 2Pi*d

and F2 = u0*I(1)*I(2) / 2Pi*2d

Then adding them together to get the net force. I only have 2 tries left before I can no longer answer the equation, so I need a big kick in the right direction.

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
1.For F2 the distance is not 2d it is d+w
2.F1 is an attractive force and F2 a repulsive force so you need to subtract not add.

(like currents attract...unlike currents repel)

Thank you very much good sir

I still did not get the right answer.. This is what I did

F1 = u0*I(1)*I(2) / 2Pi*d , which came out to be 3.24x10^-5N
and
F2 = -u0*I(1)*I(2) / 2Pi*(d+w) , which came out to be -1.7x10^-5N

then I subtracted them to get 1.54x10^-5N, which is wrong

Anyone have some other hints? I only have one try left..

Haven't checked your numbers but did they want you to give the direction of the force ie towards the wire?

Hard to say, I posted the whole question, it just says find the net force. If they just want magnitude I think adding them would be correct?

Hello dangish,it looks like you calculated the force per unit length(per metre)on each of the parallel sides but the wires are not one metre long they are 0.236 metres long.

1. How is force related to current?

The force experienced by a charged object in an electric field is directly proportional to the current passing through the object. This relationship is described by the equation F = I*L*B, where F is the force, I is the current, L is the length of the object, and B is the strength of the magnetic field.

2. What is the formula for calculating force from current?

The formula for calculating force from current is F = I*L*B, where F is the force, I is the current, L is the length of the object, and B is the strength of the magnetic field.

3. Can force be calculated from current in any type of electric field?

Yes, the formula for calculating force from current is applicable in any type of electric field, whether it is created by a permanent magnet, an electromagnet, or a changing electric field.

4. How does the direction of current affect the force experienced by an object?

The direction of current affects the force experienced by an object by determining the direction of the force. According to the right hand rule, the direction of the force is perpendicular to both the direction of current and the direction of the magnetic field.

5. What is the unit of measurement for force from current?

The unit of measurement for force from current is the Newton (N). This is a derived unit in the International System of Units (SI) and is equivalent to 1 kg*m/s^2.