1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding frequency if you know mass and length of rope.

1. Nov 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A girl with a mass of 40 kg is swinging from a rope with a length of 2.8 m. What is the frequency of her swinging?

2. Relevant equations

I could find the period of the situation and then from there could calculate the frequency. For the period I'm not sure what equation I should use. I tried using the equation T=2∏ (√I / mgh ). This did not work for me though. Any help would be nice!

3. The attempt at a solution
    Attempt shown above.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2013 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That's the formula for a physical pendulum, which should work just fine. Show what you did.

Of course, since you are ignoring the mass of the rope (I presume), you can also treat this as a simple pendulum.

4. Nov 7, 2013 #3
    Okay I used the equation for a simple pendulum: T= 2 x pie x square root of L / g. Square root of 2.8 / 9.8 x 2pie gave me 3.35 for a period. Then I plugged in 1/3.35 for the frequency and came up with the right answer. Thanks so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted