Finding frequency of a specific mechanical oscillator -- horizontal rod on pivot

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a cylinder with a thin rod placed on it, and calculating the oscillating time of the system. The participants discuss the equations and solutions, and consider the possibility of the given data being incorrect. They also discuss the effects of the rod's width on the moment of inertia and the accuracy of the system as a clock.
I did the same approximation in the first part of my homework (calculating the oscillating time), when I say cos φ≈1 for small φ

Physics news on Phys.org
Keep terms of first order in φ. cosφ ≈ 1 - φ2/2 ≈ 1 to first order. What about sinφ?

sinφ=φ-(φ^3)/6

srecko97 said:
sinφ=φ-(φ^3)/6
So, to first order in φ?

oh it is φ

srecko97 said:
oh it is φ
That's right.

Well, I got that M_right - M_left = mg(rφ-bφ) ...M=torque

image.jpg

The frequency gets smaller, as numerator gets smaller and denominator gets bigger. I hope it is correct! I would like to say you a big THANK YOU TSny! You helped me a lot... I learned a lot from solving this task with your help. I love this forum...

Your answer looks correct to me. (b ≥ r is interesting to think about.)

Glad I could help.

ω2 is then negative, so there is no oscillation in real?

srecko97 said:
ω2 is then negative, so there is no oscillation in real?
Yes, there is no oscillation. Looking back at your post#43, I think you need to add an overall negative sign to the first equation so that it's

##J \ddot{\phi} = - mg(r-b)\phi##.

If ##b > r## then you can see that ##\ddot{\phi} >0## if ##\phi## is given an initial small, positive value. So, the rod rotates away from the equilibrium position when it is released and there is no oscillation. Of course, the differential equation for ##\phi## breaks down as ##\phi## continues to increase since the differential equation was derived under the assumption that ##\phi## is always small.

Another way to investigate the general behavior of the system for various values of b is to derive the potential energy of the system as a function of ##\phi## without making a small angle approximation. Then plots of the potential energy function for various values of b will reveal a lot about the behavior. But that's probably for a rainy day.

Likes srecko97