Finding Height (KE vs. Work by Gravity)

In summary, a thin solid disk of radius R = 0.5 m and mass M = 2.0 kg is rolling without slipping on a horizontal surface with a linear speed v = 5.0 m/s. The disk now rolls without slipping up an inclined plane at an angle of 60 degrees to the vertical. The maximum height that the disk rolls up the incline can be calculated by equating the kinetic energy to the work done by gravity. Using the equations for kinetic energy, moment of inertia, angular velocity, and work done by gravity, the height can be solved for. It is important to note that in the absence of other forces, total mechanical energy is conserved and either the equation Wg = ΔKE or
johnhuntsman
A thin solid disk of radius R = 0.5 m and mass M = 2.0 kg is rolling without slipping on a horizontal surface with a linear speed v = 5.0 m/s. The disk now rolls without slipping up an inclined plane that is at an angle of 60 degrees to the vertical. Calculate the maximum height that the disk rolls up the incline.

The disk will stop when kinetic energy K equals the work done by gravity Wg.

R = 0.5m
M = 2.0kg
v = 5.0m / s
θ = 60°
I = (1 / 2)MR2
ω = v / R
K = (1 / 2)Iω2 + (1 / 2)Mv2
Wg = mgh = mgdcosθ

The fact the θ to the vertical is given suggests that I'm meant to find h using it, but it seems to me that I wouldn't actually need it. However solving for h that way doesn't get me the right answer which makes me think I need to use it somehow. Can someone please help?

P.S. The correct answer is 2.6m.

Physics news on Phys.org
johnhuntsman said:
A thin solid disk of radius R = 0.5 m and mass M = 2.0 kg is rolling without slipping on a horizontal surface with a linear speed v = 5.0 m/s. The disk now rolls without slipping up an inclined plane that is at an angle of 60 degrees to the vertical. Calculate the maximum height that the disk rolls up the incline.

The disk will stop when kinetic energy K equals the work done by gravity Wg.

R = 0.5m
M = 2.0kg
v = 5.0m / s
θ = 60°
I = (1 / 2)MR2
ω = v / R
K = (1 / 2)Iω2 + (1 / 2)Mv2
Wg = mgh = mgdcosθ

The fact the θ to the vertical is given suggests that I'm meant to find h using it, but it seems to me that I wouldn't actually need it. However solving for h that way doesn't get me the right answer which makes me think I need to use it somehow. Can someone please help?

P.S. The correct answer is 2.6m.
You are asked to solve for h. Is the work done by gravity positive or negative?? Write out your work-energy equation and please show your work.

It should be negative.

(1 / 2)Iω2 + (1 / 2)Mv2 - Mgh = 0J

or

(1 / 2)Iω2 + (1 / 2)Mv2 = Mgh

or

(1 / 2)Iω2 + (1 / 2)Mv2 = Mgdcosθ

[Edit]
With stuff substituted in:
(1 / 2)(1 / 2)MR2(v / R)2 + (1 / 2)Mv2 = Mgdcosθ

Simplifying:
(1 / 4)MR2(v / R)2 + (1 / 2)Mv2 = Mgdcosθ

(1 / 4)R2(v / R)2 + (1 / 2)v2 = gdcosθ

(1 / 4)v2 + (1 / 2)v2 = gdcosθ

(3 / 4)v2 = gdcosθ

[(3 / 4)v2] / g = dcosθ

What then?
[Edit]

Last edited:
That will give you the correct answer for h, and since you are not asked to solve for d, you don't need the last equation. But, you are nonetheless not using your energy equation correctly. In the absence of work done by non conservative forces, what equation are you using? Work is a function of the change in energy.

PhanthomJay said:
That will give you the correct answer for h, and since you are not asked to solve for d, you don't need the last equation. But, you are nonetheless not using your energy equation correctly. In the absence of work done by non conservative forces, what equation are you using? Work is a function of the change in energy.

I'm afraid I don't understand. Kinetic energy will have changed into gravitational protential energy because of the work gravity has done on it between the bottom of the incline and the point on the incline where the disk stops. That is a change in energy isn't it? At least in kinetic energy right?

[Edit] The equation gives me h = 1.9m as opposed to h = 2.6m which is the correct answer. [Edit]

Last edited:
When gravity is the only force acting that does work, which is your case here, then total mechanical energy is conserved, and you can use eiither of the following 2 equations:

1. [itex]W_g = \Delta KE[/itex] or
2. [itex] \Delta KE + \Delta PE =0[/itex]

Neither equation applies if work is being done by other forces like friction or applied forces. I am not sure if you have studied this yet.

But if you examine either equation above, they are not quite the same as the equation you gave in your solution. It's a signage thing related to the change, which becomes extremely important for the more general class of problems.

PhanthomJay said:
When gravity is the only force acting that does work, which is your case here, then total mechanical energy is conserved, and you can use eiither of the following 2 equations:

1. [itex]W_g = \Delta KE[/itex] or
2. [itex] \Delta KE + \Delta PE =0[/itex]

Neither equation applies if work is being done by other forces like friction or applied forces. I am not sure if you have studied this yet.

But if you examine either equation above, they are not quite the same as the equation you gave in your solution. It's a signage thing related to the change, which becomes extremely important for the more general class of problems.

So does that change the equation I used in anyway, or should I simply know this because it will be germane later. Also, is the h I arrived at correct or not? The correct answer section has been wrong several times before and I just want to hear it from someone educated that it probably is wrong.

johnhuntsman said:
So does that change the equation I used in anyway, or should I simply know this because it will be germane later.
Using the work = change in KE approach, -mgh = (0 - ((1/2)mv^2 + (1/2)Iω^2)), which is the same equation you have.
Also, is the h I arrived at correct or not? The correct answer section has been wrong several times before and I just want to hear it from someone educated that it probably is wrong.
The center of the disc rises 1.9 m from its start point before it stops. I am unsure where the 2.6 m comes from.

Alright then. Thanks.

Related to Finding Height (KE vs. Work by Gravity)

1. What is the difference between kinetic energy and work done by gravity in finding height?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. Work done by gravity, on the other hand, is the force of gravity acting on an object over a distance. In the context of finding height, kinetic energy refers to the energy an object gains as it moves upwards, while work done by gravity refers to the force of gravity pulling the object downwards.

2. How do you calculate the height of an object using kinetic energy?

The equation for kinetic energy is KE = 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity. To calculate the height, you can rearrange this equation to solve for height: h = KE/(mg), where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

3. How is the work done by gravity related to potential energy?

The work done by gravity is equal to the change in potential energy. As an object moves upwards, the work done by gravity decreases its kinetic energy and increases its potential energy. The opposite is true as the object moves downwards.

4. Can you use the work-energy theorem to find the height of an object?

Yes, the work-energy theorem states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In the context of finding height, this means that the work done by gravity (pulling the object downwards) is equal to the change in kinetic energy (gained by the object as it moves upwards).

5. How does the mass of an object affect its height when using the equation for kinetic energy?

The mass of an object does not directly affect its height when using the equation for kinetic energy. However, the mass will affect the object's velocity, which is a factor in the equation for calculating height. A heavier object will have a lower velocity and therefore will not travel as high as a lighter object with the same amount of kinetic energy.