Finding initial conditions

In summary, the conversation revolves around the struggle to find initial conditions for a 5th order ODE describing visco-elastic material behavior. The differential equation is solved for epsilon(t) and is subject to a constant stress sigma_0. The speaker is able to come up with one initial condition but is unsure how to find the remaining four. The symbols used in the problem are not clearly defined, making it difficult to understand the specific details of the problem.
Joa
TL;DR Summary
I am struggling to find the initial conditions to a 5th order ODE describing visco-elastic material behavior
Hello,

I am trying to solve a differential equation corresponding to a visco-elastic material model consisting of 5 units of springs and dashpots connected in parallel as can be seen in the image below. I am able to come-up with a single fifth order ODE, however I am struggling to find the initial conditions for t=0. The differential equation is solved for epsilon(t) and is subject to a constant stress sigma_0. I am able to come-up with the first initial condition as can be seen in the image but I don't know how to find the remaining 4 conditions. Please help!

Joa
problem.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Joa said:
Summary: I am struggling to find the initial conditions to a 5th order ODE describing visco-elastic material behavior

Hello,

I am trying to solve a differential equation corresponding to a visco-elastic material model consisting of 5 units of springs and dashpots connected in parallel as can be seen in the image below. I am able to come-up with a single fifth order ODE, however I am struggling to find the initial conditions for t=0. The differential equation is solved for epsilon(t) and is subject to a constant stress sigma_0. I am able to come-up with the first initial condition as can be seen in the image but I don't know how to find the remaining 4 conditions. Please help!

JoaView attachment 253342
I don't understand your question. There is a difference between solving a differential equation, and solving an initial value problem (which involves a differential equation and one or more initial conditions).

A simple example of a differential equation is y' - y = 0, for which the general solution is ##y = Ae^t##. It is not possible to find the constant A nor is it possible to get a unique value for y(0), since no initial condition is given.

Now consider an initial value problem such as y' - y = 0, with y(0) = 2. Knowing the initial condition allows us to determine that A = 2, so the unique solution is ##y = 2e^t##.

So in short, just being able to go from a differential equation to a general solution (or family of solutions) in no way let's us determine an initial condition.

Mark44 said:
I don't understand your question. There is a difference between solving a differential equation, and solving an initial value problem (which involves a differential equation and one or more initial conditions).

A simple example of a differential equation is y' - y = 0, for which the general solution is ##y = Ae^t##. It is not possible to find the constant A nor is it possible to get a unique value for y(0), since no initial condition is given.

Now consider an initial value problem such as y' - y = 0, with y(0) = 2. Knowing the initial condition allows us to determine that A = 2, so the unique solution is ##y = 2e^t##.

So in short, just being able to go from a differential equation to a general solution (or family of solutions) in no way let's us determine an initial condition.

Finding the general solution to the problem is not the issue here. I am able to formulate the general solution to the problem, but then i am left with 5 unknown constants which can be solved using the initial conditions. However formulating these initial conditions is the thing I am struggling with. So far I only found one initial conditions as can be seen in the image. Does this clarify my question?

Joa said:
Does this clarify my question?
No. As I said in my previous post, being able to find the general solution to a differential equation doesn't enable one to find initial conditions.

Also, it's difficult for me to understand what you're doing. A typical problem involving a mass, spring, and damping dashpot is a second order differential equation. To find a unique solution you would need the initial position and initial velocity of the mass in this system.

Also, it's not clear to me what the symbols you're using represent. You have ##\epsilon_1, \dot{\epsilon_1}## etc., ##\tau_1## etc. ##\sigma_1, \dot{\sigma_1}, \mu_1##, etc. and ##E_1## etc.
Presumably the ##\mu##s are the masses attached to the springs, and possibly ##\sigma_i## is a position and ##\dot{\sigma_i}## is a velocity, but which of the symbols you're using is an acceleration?

Mark44 said:
No. As I said in my previous post, being able to find the general solution to a differential equation doesn't enable one to find initial conditions.

Also, it's difficult for me to understand what you're doing. A typical problem involving a mass, spring, and damping dashpot is a second order differential equation. To find a unique solution you would need the initial position and initial velocity of the mass in this system.

Also, it's not clear to me what the symbols you're using represent. You have ##\epsilon_1, \dot{\epsilon_1}## etc., ##\tau_1## etc. ##\sigma_1, \dot{\sigma_1}, \mu_1##, etc. and ##E_1## etc.
Presumably the ##\mu##s are the masses attached to the springs, and possibly ##\sigma_i## is a position and ##\dot{\sigma_i}## is a velocity, but which of the symbols you're using is an acceleration?

The following document provides some background to what I am trying to model. Specifically on page 20-22 a problem similar to mine is evaluated. There two Maxwell units in parallel are used. I am trying to use five units.
http://homepages.engineering.auckla...scoelasticity/10_Viscoelasticity_Complete.pdf

I don't see a fifth order ODE at all, but instead five first order ODEs -- assuming ##\sigma## is the input1 and ##\varepsilon## is to be found2. They can be added up to one first order ODE. Please enlighten me if I am wrong ? (And I think I am... :cool: )

1 I derive from
1579623241002.png

2 You found already
1579623324770.png
With your
Joa said:
1579621639015.png
(Gee, it's a drag to quote from a picture -- ##\LaTeX## is soooo much better... )

Anyway with that you have established ##{\dot\epsilon}_0 = 0## and also that ##\dot\sigma_0 = 0## -- I think.

Joa said:
Specifically on page 20-22 a problem similar to mine is evaluated
Strange: page 20 (302) is already further:10.3b Retardation and Relaxation spectra.

But 10.3.6 Generalized Models on page 300 has a picture like the one in your post #1:

1579622491023.png

with a warning that
"Piaras Kelly: Solid Mechanics Part I: An Introduction to Solid Mechanics" said:
1579622520003.png

1. What is the significance of finding initial conditions in a scientific experiment?

Finding the initial conditions in a scientific experiment is crucial as it allows researchers to establish a baseline or starting point for their study. This helps in accurately measuring and understanding the changes that occur during the experiment.

2. How do scientists determine the initial conditions in an experiment?

Scientists use various methods such as observation, data collection, and mathematical models to determine the initial conditions in an experiment. These methods help in identifying the key variables and factors that may affect the outcome of the experiment.

3. Can initial conditions change during an experiment?

Yes, initial conditions can change during an experiment due to various factors such as external influences, errors in measurement, or unexpected events. It is important for scientists to monitor and account for any changes in initial conditions to ensure the validity of their results.

4. How do initial conditions affect the outcome of an experiment?

Initial conditions can significantly impact the outcome of an experiment as they provide the starting point for the study. Any changes or variations in the initial conditions can lead to different results and affect the overall conclusions of the experiment.

5. Is it necessary to find the initial conditions in all scientific experiments?

Yes, it is essential to find the initial conditions in all scientific experiments as it helps in establishing a baseline for comparison and understanding the changes that occur during the study. Without determining the initial conditions, it would be challenging to draw accurate conclusions from the experiment.