1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Initial Speed Given Range

1. Sep 14, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If you want to use a catapult to throw rocks, and the max range is 0.67 km, what initial speed must the rocks have as they leave the catapult?

2. Relevant equations

v=Δr/Δt

3. The attempt at a solution
    I sketched a graph of the projectile trajectory with the desired range on the x-axis. I also converted 0.67 km to 670 m. I concluded that acceleration would be -9.8 m/s. I couldn't go any further since I feel like I am not given enough information to work with.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... you need to know the angle the stones are launched at - you are told this though. The way the question is written suggests you have already derived or had given to you a bunch of equations for range, max-height and so on. If not, then try sketching velocity-time graphs for the horizontal and vertical components of the motion.

note: the acceleration is -9.8m/s/s in the +y direction, taking +y to be "upwards".

4. Sep 14, 2014 #3
    Thank you for the quick response. I used the formula Rmax=V02/g. After substituting the givens into the formula, I came up with 81 m/s

5. Sep 16, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Did you understand where the equation came from?

6. Sep 16, 2014 #5
    Not quite, although a similar formula that I know is R=(V0^2)sin(2t)/g

7. Sep 16, 2014 #6
    I also understand that for the range to be max, the angle has to be 45, and if we put 45 into the V0^2sin(2t)/g formula, sin2t would just be 1, and we are left with just V0^2/g

8. Sep 16, 2014 #7

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... well done :)

I just don't like the style of teaching that has students memorize a bunch of equations.
    Note: that equation only works where the initial and final heights are the same - when you can derive the equations from velocity-time graphs you'll be able to do any ballistics problem, and many more besides, without having to memorize or look up any equations ... so it's a skill worth obtaining.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted