Finding inverse of matrix with trig values

In summary, finding the inverse of a rotation matrix involves using the determinant and matrix of minors. In this specific example, the inverse is the same rotation matrix with the signs for the sine terms switched.
fend
Find the inverse of the rotation matrix

cos(theta) -sin(theta)
sin(theta) cos(theta)

I have no problems finding the inverse of a standard 2x2 matrix, however I am confused by the trig functions.

I guess the determanent would be 2cos(theta) and I would end up with

1/2cos(theta)*(the above 2x2 matrix)

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you made a sign error in applying the determinant formula.

Frankly, it appears you have no clue what you are doing. Pretty much you say is wrong. The determinant is NOT "2 cos(theta)", it is (cos(theta))(cos(theta))- (sin(theta))(-sin(theta))= cos^2(theta)+ sin^2(theta)= 1.

And the inverse of a matrix is NOT the determinant time the "above matrix", it is the determinant times the matrix made of the minors of the original matrix.

For this particular problem, the simplest way to find the inverse is to recognize that this matrix represents rotation, about the origin, through an angle theta. And that the inverse ("reverse") matrix is rotation about the origin through angle -theta.

Well it's no different to doing this for any other matrix :smile:

For a 2x2 matrix

a b
c d

the determinant is ad-bc, yes?

So for your example you should have [tex]sin^2\theta+cos^2\theta=1[/tex] so actually, the inverse of your matrix is exactly the same. (edit: but you switch the signs for the [tex]sin\theta[/tex]'s.)

Thank you for all the responses. The subject has been clarified and I appreciate the assistance provided.

1. How do I find the inverse of a matrix with trig values?

The inverse of a matrix with trig values can be found by using the inverse trigonometric functions, such as arctan, arcsin, and arccos, to convert the trig values into angles. These angles can then be used to construct a new matrix, which is the inverse of the original matrix.

2. Why is finding the inverse of a matrix with trig values important?

Finding the inverse of a matrix with trig values is important in many applications, such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics. It allows us to solve systems of equations and perform transformations, which can be used to solve real-world problems.

3. Can any matrix with trig values have an inverse?

No, not all matrices with trig values have an inverse. For a matrix to have an inverse, it must be square (have the same number of rows and columns) and its determinant must not be equal to zero. If the determinant is zero, the matrix does not have an inverse.

4. What is the difference between finding the inverse of a matrix with trig values and finding the inverse of a regular matrix?

The process for finding the inverse of a matrix with trig values is similar to finding the inverse of a regular matrix, but the trig values must first be converted into angles using inverse trigonometric functions. This extra step is necessary because trig values represent ratios, not specific values, like regular numbers do.

5. Are there any shortcuts for finding the inverse of a matrix with trig values?

Yes, there are certain shortcuts that can be used to find the inverse of a matrix with trig values. For example, for a 2x2 matrix, the inverse can be found using a simple formula involving the determinant of the matrix. Additionally, there are online calculators and software programs that can quickly find the inverse of a matrix with trig values for you.