Finding limits of integration during a change of variables

In summary, The speaker is having trouble finding the limits of integration after making a change of variables. They explain that using either y = √(1-x) or y = -√(1-x) is acceptable, but using both is incorrect. It is important to have a bijection between the x's and the y's in this case.
Shinjo
Hi. I have a problem with a question. Basically, I have an integral that goes from x=0 to x=1, and I'm supposed to make a change of variables like this:

Let x = 1 - y^2.

The problem I'm having is trying to find the limits of integration after the change of variables. Since y = +/- (x-1)^1/2, I have y = -1 or +1 for the lower limit. Am I supposed to just use either one? I'm so confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need a bijection between the x's and the y's in this case.
That is, you should choose
EITHER [tex]y=\sqrt{1-x}[/tex]
OR: [tex]y=-\sqrt{1-x}[/tex]
Either one of them is okay; using both is wrong.

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your problem. It can definitely be tricky to find the limits of integration when making a change of variables, but don't worry, it is a common struggle for many students.

First, let's review the process of changing variables in an integral. When we substitute a new variable into an integral, we also need to adjust the limits of integration to reflect the new variable. In your case, you have substituted x=1-y^2, so you need to adjust the limits from x=0 to x=1 to y=? to y=?.

To find the new limits, we need to solve for y in terms of x. You have correctly found that y= +/- (x-1)^1/2, but we need to simplify this further. Remember, when we are changing variables, we are essentially changing the variable of integration, so we need to express the new variable in terms of x.

In this case, we can simplify y= +/- (x-1)^1/2 to just y= (x-1)^1/2. This is because we are only concerned with the positive values of y, since negative values of y will result in negative values of x, which are already covered by the original limits of integration.

So, the new limits of integration are y=0 to y=1, since y= (x-1)^1/2 and we are integrating with respect to y.

In summary, when making a change of variables, it is important to solve for the new variable in terms of the old variable and then adjust the limits of integration accordingly. I hope this helps clarify things for you. Good luck with your problem!

Related to Finding limits of integration during a change of variables

What is the purpose of finding limits of integration during a change of variables?

The purpose of finding limits of integration during a change of variables is to transform a difficult integral into a simpler one by substituting variables. This can make it easier to solve the integral and can also provide insight into the behavior of the function being integrated.

How do you find the new limits of integration after a change of variables?

To find the new limits of integration, you need to apply the change of variables formula and then evaluate the limits of the new integral. This involves substituting the new variables into the original limits and simplifying the resulting expressions.

What are some common substitution techniques used to find limits of integration?

Some common substitution techniques include u-substitution, trigonometric substitution, and integration by parts. These techniques can be used to simplify the integral and make it easier to find the new limits of integration.

What is the importance of choosing appropriate limits of integration during a change of variables?

Choosing appropriate limits of integration is important because it ensures that the new integral accurately represents the original integral. It also helps to avoid integration errors and ensure that the final solution is correct.

Are there any guidelines or rules for finding limits of integration during a change of variables?

Yes, there are some guidelines and rules that can help in finding limits of integration during a change of variables. These include choosing a suitable substitution, ensuring that the new limits are compatible with the new variables, and checking the final solution for accuracy.