Finding Mass of Sled: Calculate m_S with Given Quantities

• Thread starter Nitrag
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Slope
In summary, we are given a scenario where a girl of mass m_G is walking up a slippery slope while pulling a sled of unknown mass m_S, with the slope making an angle theta with the horizontal. The coefficient of static friction between the girl's boots and the slope is mu_s, and the friction between the sled and the slope is negligible. It is known that the girl can pull the sled up the slope with acceleration up to a without slipping down the slope. Using Newton's second law, we can express m_S in terms of the given quantities and the magnitude of acceleration due to gravity, g. The final formula for m_S is m_G(cot(theta)-1) + m_G*a.
Nitrag
A girl of mass m_G is walking up a slippery slope while pulling a sled of unknown mass; the slope makes an angle theta with the horizontal. The coefficient of static friction between the girl's boots and the slope is mu_s; the friction between the sled and the slope is negligible. It turns out that the girl can pull the sled up the slope with acceleration up to a without slipping down the slope. Find the mass of the sled m_S. Assume that the rope connecting the girl and the sled is kept parallel to the slope at all times.

98554E.jpg

98554D.jpg

Find the mass of the sled m_S.
Express the sled's mass in terms of the given quantities and g, the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity.

I would like to think it involves using something like:
Code:
cos(theta)=x/(Mg-Ms)

What other variables and I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your force diagrams are correct - so assuming have done the trig right you should be there.

I don't understand what you are saying that "x" represents in your equation, this isn't a given variable.

sin(theta)*(m_G+m_S)=mu_S*m_G*cos(theta)
m_S=m_G(cot(theta)-1)

is this correct?

use Newton's second law

Nitrag said:
I would like to think it involves using something like:
Code:
cos(theta)=x/(Mg-Ms)

Hi Nitrag! :smile:

It's no good picking a formula you're familiar with, and hoping it fits.

Hint: use Newton's second law along the slope:

mGa + … = … ? :smile:

EDIT: vipulsilwal, you're doing it https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=244135" :frown:

Don't try to answer the question … just offer help.

(And when you're not sure of the answer, wait until the end, and then ask!
Remember, it's not your thread. :smile:)​

Last edited by a moderator:
ok sorry.,,
usual way of starting such problems is
frictional force is acting only on girl .
how to determine its direction?,,jst see where girl would slide if there was no friction force.
friction force is preventing that to happen...so it is in upward direction...

now, balance upward n downward forces...m_S would be the maximum one.

I have already done the force diagram and free body diagrams and such, as well as identified the action reaction pairs. I think their is an error in your calculation of m_s though, wouldn't it have to include "a" somewhere in there?

i admit it was wrong...
m_G*a have to be include in upward direction..

thanks chipper for correction

What does "m_S" stand for in this calculation?

"m_S" represents the mass of the sled in the given problem. It is often denoted as "m" in physics equations and is measured in kilograms (kg).

What are the given quantities needed to calculate the mass of the sled?

In order to find the mass of the sled, you will need to know the acceleration of the sled (a), the force acting on the sled (F), and the coefficient of friction between the sled and the surface it is on (μ). These values can be obtained through experiments or given in the problem.

How do I use the given quantities to calculate the mass of the sled?

The formula for finding the mass of an object is m = F/aμ. Simply plug in the values for force, acceleration, and coefficient of friction into this formula to calculate the mass of the sled.

Why is it important to calculate the mass of the sled?

Knowing the mass of an object is important in physics because it helps us understand how the object will behave under different forces and conditions. In this specific scenario, finding the mass of the sled can help us determine how much force is needed to move the sled or how friction affects its movement.

Are there any limitations to this calculation method?

Yes, there are some limitations to this method. For example, this calculation assumes that the sled is moving on a flat, frictional surface and that there are no other external forces acting on the sled. In reality, there may be other factors that affect the movement of the sled, so the calculated mass may not be entirely accurate.