How can I find the mass of a junior curling stone using momentum?

In summary: Rcos(40), not d=R or d=R/cos(40). Thanks for clearing that up! Sorry if I'm being thick here, but I understand that there is an angle implied. What I want to know is if it implies anything else about the distance number associated with it.There is not necessarily anything else implied by the angle, it's just a way of specifying the distance between two points in space. For instance, if you were to say "the distance between the two points is 20 meters," then the angle would just be included in that description to help you visualize it. Thanks for clearing that up!
The_big_dill

Homework Statement

I am doing a laboratory on momentum with curling stones, and i know the mass of a regular curling stone, but not the mass of the junior stone (which is what i need to find out).

A regular curling stone was pushed into a junior one with the following data:

NOTE: All accelerations are assumed to affect all stones the same, mass of regular curling stone is 20Kg

Initial

Reg Stone:
[tex]\Delta[/tex]d = 6.5m
[tex]\Delta[/tex]t = 3.3s
a = -0.13m/s2

Final

Reg Stone:
[tex]\Delta[/tex]d = 1.82m (cos40)
a = -0.13m/s2
V2 = 0

junior Stone:
[tex]\Delta[/tex]d = 11.1m(cos30)
a = -0.13m/s2
V2 = 0

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta[/tex]d = V1[tex]\Delta[/tex]t+1/2a[tex]\Delta[/tex]t2

V22 = V12 + 2a[tex]\Delta[/tex]d

PT = PT'

The Attempt at a Solution

Using ([tex]\Delta[/tex]d = V1[tex]\Delta[/tex]t+1/2a[tex]\Delta[/tex]t2) i found the initial velocity of the regular stone to be 2.18m/s

Using (V22 = V12 + 2a[tex]\Delta[/tex]d) i found the final velocity of both stones after impact to be

V1' = 0.6m/s

V2' (junior stone) = 1.58m/s

PT = PT'

m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2'

Since V2 = 0 (junior stone initially not moving), m2v2 Can be eliminated.

m1v1 = m1v1' + m2v2'

rearrange and solve for m2

m2 = m1 (v1 - v1')/v2'

m2 = 20Kg <<<< not possible... ^^^^what am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you find the final velocity of both stones after impact?

Oh, nevermind, I see your problem

To solve it, remember that the velocity at which the regular curling stone collides with the junior stone (the momentum that is conserved) is NOT equal to the initial velocity of the regular curling stone, 2.18. You must factor in the acceleration of the regular stone between the time it starts at 2.18m/s and the moment it collides with the junior stone.

v2=v1 + at
where v1 is 2.18m/s, not v2

Then use the velocity of the regular stone right before collision (v2 in the above equation) as the v1 for the momentum conservation equation you have, and you'll come up with a reasonable value for mass of the junior stone.

The_big_dill said:
Reg Stone:
[tex]\Delta[/tex]d = 1.82m (cos40)
a = -0.13m/s2
V2 = 0

junior Stone:
[tex]\Delta[/tex]d = 11.1m(cos30)
a = -0.13m/s2
V2 = 0

I'm unfamiliar with the notation used for the distances. What does the "cos40" and "cos30" imply? Does it mean that only the x-axis component of the distance is being specified (the implication being that the the total displacement is [tex]\Delta[/tex]d/cos40)?

soothsayer said:
Oh, nevermind, I see your problem
v2=v1 + at
where v1 is 2.18m/s, not v2

I appreciate your help.

Are you sure you are not missing a variable (or using the correct ones) in that equation? because i have never seen that one before, although ones that are similar from the equations of uniform acceleration.

gneill said:
I'm unfamiliar with the notation used for the distances. What does the "cos40" and "cos30" imply? Does it mean that only the x-axis component of the distance is being specified (the implication being that the the total displacement is [tex]\Delta[/tex]d/cos40)?

It is the angle from the horizontal (that being a straight line along the ice)

It's a basic equation, it just shows that change in velocity (v2-v1) = acceleration x time (amount of time object is accelerating)

For example, if a car accelerates from rest at 4m/s2 for 3 seconds, what is the change in velocity? 4 x 3 = 12m/s, so the car will be going 12m/s after 3 seconds of acceleration of 4m/s2

The_big_dill said:
It is the angle from the horizontal (that being a straight line along the ice)

Sorry if I'm being thick here, but I understand that there is an angle implied. What I want to know is if it implies anything else about the distance number associated with it.

Suppose I specify a distance as R cos50. Is R the magnitude of the distance vector, or only the x-axis component (making the magnitude of the vector R/cos(40))?

gneill, judging by the numbers he got for the velocities of the stones after the collision, he seems to have multiplied... d=Rcos(40), not d=R or d=R/cos(40). I too was confused by the notation.

soothsayer said:
gneill, judging by the numbers he got for the velocities of the stones after the collision, he seems to have multiplied... d=Rcos(40), not d=R or d=R/cos(40). I too was confused by the notation.

apologize for the confusion, soothsayer is correct.

soothsayer said:
It's a basic equation, it just shows that change in velocity (v2-v1) = acceleration x time (amount of time object is accelerating)

For example, if a car accelerates from rest at 4m/s2 for 3 seconds, what is the change in velocity? 4 x 3 = 12m/s, so the car will be going 12m/s after 3 seconds of acceleration of 4m/s2

Sorry, i guess i had a brain fart, i am use to seeing it as a=v/t

soothsayer said:

Hmm. Two problems. The frictional force that's providing the deceleration that stops the stones should be working along the line of motion, not just the x-component, and both post impact velocities apparently are associated with positive angles (both stones move along trajectories that are above the horizontal after the collision). Conservation of momentum would then indicate that the original stone was not moving "horizontally", yet no angle was supplied.

gneill said:
Hmm. Two problems. The frictional force that's providing the deceleration that stops the stones should be working along the line of motion, not just the x-component, and both post impact velocities apparently are associated with positive angles (both stones move along trajectories that are above the horizontal after the collision). Conservation of momentum would then indicate that the original stone was not moving "horizontally", yet no angle was supplied.

Let me clarify, in my original post i was attempting to make everything more brief so it is less discouraging to read.

The regular stone hit the junior one at an angle, making one go 40 degrees and the other go -30 degrees, if that makes sense.

I calculated a deceleration that would apply to all stones from that point on to be a=-0.13

The_big_dill said:
Let me clarify, in my original post i was attempting to make everything more brief so it is less discouraging to read.

The regular stone hit the junior one at an angle, making one go 40 degrees and the other go -30 degrees, if that makes sense.

I calculated a deceleration that would apply to all stones from that point on to be a=-0.13

These angles are with respect to what axis? The initial direction of travel of the Regular Stone? If so, I think that there's a problem with the data. Momentum must be conserved in both the X and Y directions. Using the angles given and post-impact velocities deduced, the Y-direction momentum is not conserved, as it ends up being non-zero.

gneill said:
These angles are with respect to what axis? The initial direction of travel of the Regular Stone? If so, I think that there's a problem with the data. Momentum must be conserved in both the X and Y directions. Using the angles given and post-impact velocities deduced, the Y-direction momentum is not conserved, as it ends up being non-zero.

i don't know if i am missing something... but i could simplify it by just finding what [tex]\Delta[/tex]d*Cos[tex]\theta[/tex] is. i am simply finding the X-component, i don't think i need both components, all i need is the distance traveled in a straight line.

The_big_dill said:
i don't know if i am missing something... but i could simplify it by just finding what [tex]\Delta[/tex]d*Cos[tex]\theta[/tex] is. i am simply finding the X-component, i don't think i need both components, all i need is the distance traveled in a straight line.

You wrote for your conservation of momentum equation,

m1v1 = m1v1' + m2v2'

and then proceeded to deal with the x-components on the RHS. If the Regular Stone was not actually traveling along the x-axis when it hit the Junior Stone, it too will have x and y components to deal with; the velocity that it has at the moment of impact will have x and y components. So there is some unknown angle associated with the Regular Stone's initial velocity, and the x-component of this velocity will be some fraction of the speed of the stone.

That this is so is clear from the fact that the Y-momenta of the two stones immediately after impact do not sum to zero when you assume that Regular Stone traveled directly along the x-axis.

gneill said:
You wrote for your conservation of momentum equation,

m1v1 = m1v1' + m2v2'

and then proceeded to deal with the x-components on the RHS. If the Regular Stone was not actually traveling along the x-axis when it hit the Junior Stone, it too will have x and y components to deal with; the velocity that it has at the moment of impact will have x and y components. So there is some unknown angle associated with the Regular Stone's initial velocity, and the x-component of this velocity will be some fraction of the speed of the stone.

That this is so is clear from the fact that the Y-momenta of the two stones immediately after impact do not sum to zero when you assume that Regular Stone traveled directly along the x-axis.

How do you know that the y-momenta of the stones did not sum to zero if you don't know the mass of the junior stone?

Also, I felt it was implied that the angle given of the stones after the collision was with respect to the direction the regular stone was traveling before the collision.

m1v1 = m1v1' + m2v2'

v1 = 2.18 + at = 2.18 + (-0.13)(3.3) = 1.75m/s (velocity the moment before the collision)

using the formula: v22 = v12 + 2ad, we can focus on only the component of velocity in the original direction of the curling stone's travel by determining d2 = 11.1cos(30) = 9.61
and d1 = 1.82cos(40) = 1.39
(I guess x would be more appropriate than d here)
we come up with the values that the big dill came up with for the velocities after the collision in the OP:
v1' = 0.6m/s
v2' = 1.58m/s

We plug these into the momentum conservation equation I posted above, this is where the big dill went wrong, he plugged in 2.18m/s for v1 which was the initial velocity of the regular stone INSTEAD of 1.75m/s for velocity of the regular stone instantaneously before colliding with the junior stone, as he should have (as I demonstrated above, accounting for deceleration).

Now, if you plug in all the correct values, the momentum conservation equation becomes:

(20)(1.75) = (20)(0.6) + 1.58m2
Solving for m2 we get 1.85kg

That should be the mass of the junior stone. To check, let's plug these values into kinetic energy conservation and see if they match up:

(1/2)m1v12 = (1/2)m1v1'2 + (1/2)m2v2'2

here, energy is a scalar, so we don't want to deal with velocity components, only the full speed of the stones. I'll spare you the derivations I did and say
v2'2 = 2.88
v1'2 = 0.473

Plug these values in, to the above equation and you'll see the two sides do NOT equal each other, this means either I made a mistake (not too unlikely) or there's something wrong with the problem, I'd look at those weird trig components that still confuse me. I'm going to try it again without factoring those in and tell you the results.

EDIT: Ran the numbers, it still does not match up. Perhaps the collision is supposed to be inelastic?

Last edited:
To account for the initial velocity of the Regular stone being at some undetermined angle with respect to the assumed x-axis, or equivalently, the Regular stone striking the Junior stone off-center, divide the Regular stone's velocity into components as usual.

The methods used to find the initial speeds of the stones pre- and post-impact are fine.

To summarize the plot so far:

Code:
Regular Stone:
   m1 = 20 kg
   vr1 = 1.755 m/s        [tex]\phi[/tex]  = ? (Unknown)
   vr2 = 0.688 m/s        [tex]\theta[/tex]r = 40 degrees

Junior Stone:
   m2 = ?
   vj1 = 0  (at rest)
   vj2 = 1.699 m/s        [tex]\theta[/tex]j = 30 degrees

Write the 2D conservation of momentum equations:

m1*vr1*cos([tex]\phi[/tex]) = m1*vr2*cos([tex]\theta[/tex]r) + m2*vj2*cos([tex]\theta[/tex]j)
   m1*vr1*sin([tex]\phi[/tex]) = m1*vr2*sin([tex]\theta[/tex]r) + m2*vj2*sin([tex]\theta[/tex]j)

Solve these simultaneous equations for m2.

When I solve the equations I come up with

m2 = 16.44 kg
[tex]\phi[/tex] = -8.39 degrees

Momentum is conserved in all directions, and the mass of the Junior stone even looks reasonable.

1. How is mass related to momentum?

Mass and momentum are directly proportional to each other. This means that an object with a larger mass will also have a larger momentum.

2. What is the formula for calculating momentum?

The formula for calculating momentum is: momentum = mass x velocity. This means that the momentum of an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its velocity.

3. Can an object have momentum without having mass?

No, an object must have mass in order to have momentum. Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, and an object cannot have motion without having mass.

4. How do you find the mass of an object using its momentum?

To find the mass of an object using its momentum, you can rearrange the formula for momentum to solve for mass. The formula would be: mass = momentum / velocity. This means that the mass of an object is equal to its momentum divided by its velocity.

5. What units are used to measure momentum and mass?

Momentum is typically measured in kilogram-meters per second (kg*m/s), while mass is measured in kilograms (kg). It is important to use the correct units when calculating momentum and mass to ensure accurate results.