Finding Most General Form of Rindler Coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of coordinates shown by Wikipedia for the Rindler frame. It is mentioned that the relation ##X^2 - T^2 = 1 / a^2## leads to the equations ##X = (1/a) \cosh \varphi## and ##Y = (1/a) \sinh \varphi##, but it is noted that ##\varphi = t/a## is incorrect and should actually be ##\varphi = a t##, where ##t## is the proper time along the worldline. The conversation concludes with the suggestion of computing the proper time along the worldline of a Rindler-stationary observer.
kent davidge
I'm searching, but so far I have not found a derivation of the coordinates shown by wikipedia in the very beggining of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rindler_coordinates#Characteristics_of_the_Rindler_frame.

It seems obvious from the relation ##X^2 - T^2 = 1 / a^2##, (##c = 1##), that ##X = (1/a) \cosh \varphi## and ##Y = (1/a) \sinh \varphi##, but that ##\varphi = t/a## is not obvious.

Sorry, I've titled this thread as "the most general form" but later realized that the form I'm talking about is not the most general form. Anyways the question remains.

Physics news on Phys.org
kent davidge said:
that ##\varphi = t/a## is not obvious.

It shouldn't be, since it's wrong. As you've defined ##\varphi##, it should be ##\varphi = a t##, where ##t## is the proper time along the worldline.

PeterDonis said:
It shouldn't be, since it's wrong. As you've defined ##\varphi##, it should be ##\varphi = a t##, where ##t## is the proper time along the worldline.
Yes, I typed it wrong.

Did you try computing the proper time along the worldline of a Rindler-stationary observer? If so, what did you get?

Likes kent davidge
Orodruin said:
Did you try computing the proper time along the worldline of a Rindler-stationary observer? If so, what did you get?
Thanks. Got it after your hint.

1. What is the purpose of finding the most general form of Rindler coordinates?

The most general form of Rindler coordinates is used to describe the motion of an accelerated observer in special relativity. It allows us to understand the effects of acceleration on the perception of time and space.

2. How are Rindler coordinates different from other coordinate systems?

Rindler coordinates are unique because they are based on the perspective of an accelerated observer, rather than an inertial observer. This means that they take into account the effects of acceleration on the measurement of time and space.

3. Can Rindler coordinates be used for any type of acceleration?

Rindler coordinates are specifically designed for constant acceleration. They cannot be used for non-uniform or variable acceleration.

4. How do Rindler coordinates relate to other coordinate systems, such as Cartesian coordinates?

Rindler coordinates are a type of non-inertial coordinate system, meaning they are based on the perspective of an accelerating observer. Cartesian coordinates, on the other hand, are an example of an inertial coordinate system, which is based on the perspective of an observer at rest or moving at a constant velocity.

5. Are Rindler coordinates used in any practical applications?

Rindler coordinates are primarily used in theoretical physics, particularly in the study of special relativity and black holes. They are not commonly used in practical applications, but they are essential for understanding the effects of acceleration on space and time.