Finding object distance with converging lenses.

In summary, using the equations 1/f = 1/do + 1/di and M = -di/do, the object distance for a converging lens with f=33.7 cm and magnification M=-2 is found to be 11.23 cm. The mistake in the calculation was not properly adding the fractions in the equation 1/f =1/do + 1/2do. The correct equation should be 1/f = 3/2do, which results in do = 11.23 cm.
ilovedeathcab
A converging lens with f=33.7 cm yields an image with magnification M=−2. Find the object distance. Give your answer ...

* in terms of centimeters. Do not include units in your answer. They will be assumed to be cm.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not really sure how to approach this problem. I keep calculating it and getting the wrong answer. I started with the 1/f =1/do + 1/di equation, and know that M = -di/do, but from there my work is probably wrong

-2=-di/do : -2do = -di ----> 2do=di

1/f=1/do + 1/2do

1/f =1/3do

f= 3do
1/3f=do
1/3 * 33.7cm =do
do= 11.23cm =WRONG.
?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, your mistake is going from the 2nd line to the 3rd line.

You didn't add the fractions properly. What is 1+1/2?

I'm still confused... 1/f= 3/2do? i don't know where to go from there

Solve for 'do' since you know what 'f' is.

thanks! i got the right answer this time...

What is a converging lens?

A converging lens is a type of lens that is thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges. It is also known as a convex lens. It is commonly used in optical devices such as cameras, telescopes, and microscopes.

How does a converging lens work?

A converging lens works by refracting (bending) light rays that pass through it. The thicker middle part of the lens causes light rays to bend towards the center, which results in an image being formed. The image is flipped and inverted compared to the object being viewed.

What is the focal length of a converging lens?

The focal length of a converging lens is the distance between the lens and the point where parallel light rays converge after passing through the lens. It is typically measured in millimeters (mm) and is a crucial factor in determining the magnification and clarity of the image produced.

How do you find the object distance with a converging lens?

To find the object distance with a converging lens, you can use the formula: 1/f = 1/o + 1/i, where f is the focal length, o is the object distance, and i is the image distance. Rearranging the formula, you can solve for o: o = (f * i) / (i - f).

How do you calculate the magnification of an image produced by a converging lens?

The magnification of an image produced by a converging lens is calculated by dividing the height of the image by the height of the object. The formula is: m = -i/o, where m is the magnification, i is the image distance, and o is the object distance. A negative magnification indicates an inverted image, while a positive magnification indicates an upright image.