Ordered Pairs for x and y: How to Solve x2 + 2x + 18 = y2 with Integers?

• Thread starter spoc21
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pair
In summary, to find all ordered pairs of integers (x,y) that satisfy the equation x2 + 2x + 18 = y2, one must first complete the square to get the equation (x+1)2 - (y+1)2 = -17. From there, trial and error can be used to find the solutions, which are (8,7) and (-8,-7).
spoc21

Homework Statement

Please find all ordered pairs of integers (x,y) such that x2 + 2x + 18 = y2

Homework Equations

x2 + 2x + 18 = y2

The Attempt at a Solution

Im not sure on how to begin. I tried square-rooting the expression, to solve for y, turning it into y = [tex]\sqrt{x + 2x + 18}[/tex]. I would greatly appreciate any help to get me started on this problem.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
spoc21 said:

Homework Statement

Please find all ordered pairs of integers (x,y) such that x2 + 2x + 18 = y2

Homework Equations

x2 + 2x + 18 = y2

The Attempt at a Solution

Im not sure on how to begin. I tried square-rooting the expression, to solve for y, turning it into y = [tex]\sqrt{x + 2x + 18}[/tex]. I would greatly appreciate any help to get me started on this problem.

Thanks!
It might be helpful to complete the square. Then you would have the difference of two squares being equal to -17.

Hey, thanks for the help.
So after this step, do we use trial and error to find the correct solution. I am getting one ordered pair, (9,9), and (-9,-7) after all the math(since x, and y can only be integers). I would really appreciate it if you could confirm this.
Thank you

Those ordered pairs you got aren't solutions. When you completed the square, what did you get for your equation?

1. What is an ordered pair?

An ordered pair is a set of two numbers or coordinates written in a specific order, usually represented as (x,y).

2. How do you find the ordered pair of a given point?

To find the ordered pair of a point, you need to know the x-coordinate and the y-coordinate of the point. These coordinates can then be written in the format (x,y) to represent the ordered pair.

3. What is the difference between an ordered pair and a set of coordinates?

An ordered pair is a specific way of writing a set of coordinates, where the first number represents the x-coordinate and the second number represents the y-coordinate. A set of coordinates can refer to any group of numbers that represent a location or position.

4. How do you graph an ordered pair on a coordinate plane?

To graph an ordered pair, you can first locate the x-coordinate on the horizontal axis and then the y-coordinate on the vertical axis. The point where these two lines intersect is where you can plot the ordered pair.

5. What is the importance of using ordered pairs in mathematics?

Ordered pairs are important in mathematics because they allow us to represent and visualize relationships between two variables or quantities. They are also essential in graphing and solving equations in algebra and other mathematical concepts.