1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding realtive extrema

1. Mar 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let h:(0,1)→ℝ be defined by h(x)=cos([itex]\pi\\[/itex]/x). Determine the set of all x such that x has a relative extreme value at x.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    It is common knowledge that the min and max are -1 and 1. Using intuition, it is clear by guess and check to arrive at x=1/(2n+1) gives a minimum and x=1/2n gives a maximum.

Using the first derivative test, I arrive at 1=0 which is not true. I am unsure how to interpret this answer.

Trying to solve [itex]d^{2}[/itex](cos([itex]\pi\\[/itex]/x))/d[itex]x^{2}[/itex]=0 is proving to be a real challenge.

I am only concerned about this since my professor wants me to show my work, so I do not think saying I guessed and checked will be acceptable.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Instead of guessing at the answer, find the values of x for which h'(x) = 0.

Show us what you did to arrive at 1 = 0.

4. Mar 11, 2012 #3
    Using the chain rule, h'(x)=[itex]\pi\\[/itex]sin([itex]\pi\\[/itex]/x)*1/x[itex]^{2}[/itex]

Set it equal to 0

[itex]\pi\\[/itex]sin([itex]\pi\\[/itex]/x)*1/x[itex]^{2}[/itex]=0

Multiply both sides by x[itex]^{2}[/itex]/[itex]\pi\\[/itex] yields sin([itex]\pi\\[/itex]/x)=0

Take the arcsin of both sides yields

[itex]\pi\\[/itex]/x=0

Divide both sides by pi,

1/x=0

Multiply both sides by x

1=0

Or am I forgetting that there are more possible values that arcsin can be 0?

5. Mar 11, 2012 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should not be looking at the arcsin; you should be looking for solutions of the equation sin(w) = 0. Can you see why the arcsin misses all but one solution?

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook