Finding resistances across nodes in a T-network/PI-network

• Thread starter VinceS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nodes
In summary, the goal is to calculate the resistance between nodes 1 and 3 when a 5.11kΩ resistor is connected between them. Using known values, the resistance is 1.5kΩ.
VinceS

Homework Statement

Using the known values of R1, R2, R3, R4, R5, R6, and a 5.03kΩ resistor, find the resistance between nodes 1 and 3 in Circuit 1 and Circuit 2.

Circuit 1 is a T-network composed of R1(1.0935kΩ), R2(1.06kΩ), and R3(1.07). Node 2 is connected directly to R2 and Node 3 is connected directly to R3 - the goal is calculate the resistance between nodes 1 and 3 when a 5.11kΩ resistor is connected between them(R5.1)

Circuit 2 is a PI-network composed of R4(2.980kΩ), R5(2.980kΩ), and R6(2.87κΩ). Node 1 is connected directly R4 and R6 while Node 2 is connected to R4 and R5. Node 3 is connected R5 and R6. The goal is the same as above - calculate the resistance between Nodes 1 and 3 when there is nothing connecting Nodes 2 and 3 and then with a 5.1κΩ resistor between them.

Homework Equations

I'll try to model the diagram for a better understanding, don't really have access to a scanner at the moment.

Circuit 1

N1 -----R1(1.0935kΩ) ------R2(1.06kΩ)-----N2
.......|......
........R3(1.07κΩ).....R(5.03) should be here, connected between N2 and N3
.......|......
........N3......

Circuit 2

N1------------R4(2.98κΩ)---------------N2
...|......|...
...|......|...
...R6(2.87κΩ)....R5(2.98κΩ)...R(5.03) would be in parallel with this resistor.
...|--------------------------|...
.......|......
.......N3.....

The Attempt at a Solution

I actually already know the values are supposed to be 2.01kΩ for Circuit 1 and 1.85κΩ and 1.99κΩ for Circuit 2 as this was a lab and I actually measured the values using a breadboard circuit and a multimeter. However, for analysis I'm intended to calculate the expected values, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to approach this.

The first thing I tried for Circuit 1 was to add R2 and R3 as series resistors, then combine them in parallel with R(5.03) which gave an equivalence resistance of~1.5kΩ. Then I combined that in parallel with R1, but that gave me about .67kΩ, which isn't even close to what I measured.

After that, I tried adding just R5.03 in parallel with (R1+R2), and that gave me 1.51kΩ - again considerably less than something around 2.01kΩ.

Is there something I'm missing here? Should I be using γ-Δ transformations, or would that just make a bigger mess of things?

If anyone can help steer me to a more accurate method of calculation, I would really appreciate it.

Also, I apologize if there was something in the formatting I got wrong - First time I've ever used this forum!

Physics news on Phys.org
VinceS said:

Homework Statement

Using the known values of R1, R2, R3, R4, R5, R6, and a 5.03kΩ resistor, find the resistance between nodes 1 and 3 in Circuit 1 and Circuit 2.

Circuit 1 is a T-network composed of R1(1.0935kΩ), R2(1.06kΩ), and R3(1.07). Node 2 is connected directly to R2 and Node 3 is connected directly to R3 - the goal is calculate the resistance between nodes 1 and 3 when a 5.11kΩ resistor is connected between them(R5.1)

Circuit 2 is a PI-network composed of R4(2.980kΩ), R5(2.980kΩ), and R6(2.87κΩ). Node 1 is connected directly R4 and R6 while Node 2 is connected to R4 and R5. Node 3 is connected R5 and R6. The goal is the same as above - calculate the resistance between Nodes 1 and 3 when there is nothing connecting Nodes 2 and 3 and then with a 5.1κΩ resistor between them.

Homework Equations

I'll try to model the diagram for a better understanding, don't really have access to a scanner at the moment.

Circuit 1

N1 -----R1(1.0935kΩ) ------R2(1.06kΩ)-----N2
.......|......
........R3(1.07κΩ).....R(5.03) should be here, connected between N2 and N3
.......|......
........N3......

Circuit 2

N1------------R4(2.98κΩ)---------------N2
...|......|...
...|......|...
...R6(2.87κΩ)....R5(2.98κΩ)...R(5.03) would be in parallel with this resistor.
...|--------------------------|...
.......|......
.......N3.....

The Attempt at a Solution

I actually already know the values are supposed to be 2.01kΩ for Circuit 1 and 1.85κΩ and 1.99κΩ for Circuit 2 as this was a lab and I actually measured the values using a breadboard circuit and a multimeter. However, for analysis I'm intended to calculate the expected values, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to approach this.

The first thing I tried for Circuit 1 was to add R2 and R3 as series resistors, then combine them in parallel with R(5.03) which gave an equivalence resistance of~1.5kΩ. Then I combined that in parallel with R1, but that gave me about .67kΩ, which isn't even close to what I measured.

After that, I tried adding just R5.03 in parallel with (R1+R2), and that gave me 1.51kΩ - again considerably less than something around 2.01kΩ.

Is there something I'm missing here? Should I be using γ-Δ transformations, or would that just make a bigger mess of things?

If anyone can help steer me to a more accurate method of calculation, I would really appreciate it.

Also, I apologize if there was something in the formatting I got wrong - First time I've ever used this forum!

If you use the Advanced editing panel ("Go Advanced" button), you'll find an icon in the panel that will wrap "
Code:
" tags around a block of text.  The system won't tamper with your space formatting inside code tags.

For clarity, here's your first circuit rendered as a .gif image:

[ATTACH=full]167373[/ATTACH]

Note that R2 and R3 are not in series; R1 shares the same node where they join, so they cannot be in series.  But another pair are in series...

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 553
  • attachment.php?attachmentid=66671&stc=1&d=1392581855.gif
    attachment.php?attachmentid=66671&stc=1&d=1392581855.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 163
Thanks, both for the advice and the hint! I figured it out a while ago, actually by drawing out the circuit exactly like this. I just combined RL and R2 in series, then combined that in parallel with R3 and finally combined all that in series with R1. The end resistance was about 2.00 κΩ. It was only off by about 10mΩ, which is good enough for me to keep as a final value.

1. How do I calculate the equivalent resistance of a T-network?

To calculate the equivalent resistance of a T-network, you can use the following formula: Req = R1 + (R2 * R3) / (R2 + R3) where R1 is the resistance connected to the top node and R2 and R3 are the resistances connected to the bottom nodes.

2. Can I use Kirchhoff's laws to analyze a T-network?

Yes, Kirchhoff's laws can be used to analyze a T-network. Kirchhoff's current law states that the sum of currents entering a node must equal the sum of currents leaving the node. Kirchhoff's voltage law states that the sum of voltage drops in a closed loop must equal the applied voltage.

3. How many nodes are present in a T-network?

A T-network has three nodes - one at the top and two at the bottom where the resistors are connected.

4. What is the purpose of finding resistances across nodes in a T-network?

Finding resistances across nodes in a T-network helps in determining the equivalent resistance of the network, which is useful in circuit analysis and design. It also helps in understanding the flow of current and voltage in the network.

5. How do I calculate the voltage across a specific resistor in a T-network?

To calculate the voltage across a specific resistor in a T-network, you can use Ohm's law which states that voltage (V) is equal to current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). You can also use Kirchhoff's voltage law to calculate the voltage drops in each loop of the network.