Finding resistivity experimentally

• Thread starter nokia8650
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistivity
So in summary, it is theorized that the current will remain the same when changing the position on the black wire, due to the ideal infinite resistance of the voltage meter, though in practice there may be a slight change due to the finite resistance of the meter.
nokia8650
See: http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/5353/cirlm2.th.jpg

L is varied by moving the crocodile clips along the wire.

Am I right in thinking that the current flowing will remain the same irrespective of the length?

My reasoning:

rho=AR/L
R=V/I

sub and rearrange to give:

I=AV/L(rho)

As L increases, V increases by the same proportion. A and rho remain constant. Thus, I is constant.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is L? You did not even specify it in the image...

I am going to assume you are changing the position of the 'arrow' on the black wire, effectively measuring a different voltage?

Then I believe yes, theoretically, the current will remain the same since an ideal voltage meter (what's the word?) has an infinite resistance. (So no current will flow through the 'shortcut' with the voltage meter)

In practice, it will obviously have a finite (but very large) resistance and the current might change a little, but this will probably be very small.

Hi, sorry for not defining the symbols. L was the length, and thanks, as you answered my question despite me being unclear!

1. What is resistivity and why is it important to measure it experimentally?

Resistivity is a measure of a material's ability to resist the flow of electric current. It is an important property to measure because it helps us understand how well a material can conduct electricity and how it will behave in an electrical circuit.

2. How is resistivity typically measured in an experiment?

Resistivity is typically measured by using a four-point probe method. This involves passing a known electric current through a material and measuring the voltage drop across four evenly spaced points on the material. The resistivity can then be calculated using Ohm's law.

3. What are some factors that can affect the accuracy of resistivity measurements?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of resistivity measurements include temperature, material impurities, and the geometry of the material being measured. It is important to control these variables as much as possible in order to obtain accurate results.

4. How can I improve the accuracy of my resistivity measurements?

To improve the accuracy of resistivity measurements, it is important to use high-quality equipment and carefully control all variables, such as temperature and material purity. Additionally, taking multiple measurements and averaging the results can also help to improve accuracy.

5. What are some real-world applications of measuring resistivity experimentally?

Measuring resistivity experimentally has many practical applications, such as in the development of new electronic materials, testing the quality of conductive coatings, and monitoring the health of electrical equipment. It is also used in geophysical surveys to map subsurface structures and in the production of semiconductors for electronic devices.