Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Spring Constant in horizontal direction

1. May 9, 2010 #1
    Hello All,
    Again, a funny question is raised:

From the following site, I can determine the spring constant K for a compression spring at vertical axis.
    http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tables/Springs/Springs_helical.html

However, I wonder is there any equation to find the spring constant k' at horizontal position, as shown in following picture:

Thanks for your kind help!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2010 #2
    Hi there Su :smile: I might be mistaken, but I would presume that a helical spring is not intended to bear a load in the transverse direction as you have pictured. It would probably at best show nonlinearity at large deflections and at worst damage the spring. That being said, if you still want to calculate some sort of 'transverse spring constant' it would be defined the same way.

K = Applied Force/Resulting Deflection

I am not sure what the best way to model this would be though. Taking direct measurements would probably be best but I am not sure.

4. May 10, 2010 #3

Thanks for your Reply.
    The spring is used in a Shale Shaker.
    Since the vibration direction is 45deg to the ground level, I am curious about the spring constant K' in transverse direction.
    I am wonder whether there is any literature about it.

P.s. Small amplitude only compares to the Spring Length

Last edited: May 10, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook