Finding Spring Constant in horizontal direction

In summary, a helical spring has a nonlinear response and may damage it if used in the transverse direction. The spring constant in the transverse direction can be calculated but it is not straightforward.
Su Solberg
Hello All,
Again, a funny question is raised:

From the following site, I can determine the spring constant K for a compression spring at vertical axis.
http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tables/Springs/Springs_helical.html

However, I wonder is there any equation to find the spring constant k' at horizontal position, as shown in following picture:

Thanks for your kind help!

Attachments

• Question.PNG
    Question.PNG
    7.7 KB · Views: 699
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi there Su :smile: I might be mistaken, but I would presume that a helical spring is not intended to bear a load in the transverse direction as you have pictured. It would probably at best show nonlinearity at large deflections and at worst damage the spring. That being said, if you still want to calculate some sort of 'transverse spring constant' it would be defined the same way.

K = Applied Force/Resulting Deflection

I am not sure what the best way to model this would be though. Taking direct measurements would probably be best but I am not sure.

Saladsamurai said:
Hi there Su :smile: I might be mistaken, but I would presume that a helical spring is not intended to bear a load in the transverse direction as you have pictured. It would probably at best show nonlinearity at large deflections and at worst damage the spring. That being said, if you still want to calculate some sort of 'transverse spring constant' it would be defined the same way.

K = Applied Force/Resulting Deflection

I am not sure what the best way to model this would be though. Taking direct measurements would probably be best but I am not sure.

Thanks for your Reply.
The spring is used in a Shale Shaker.
Since the vibration direction is 45deg to the ground level, I am curious about the spring constant K' in transverse direction.
I am wonder whether there is any literature about it.

P.s. Small amplitude only compares to the Spring Length

Last edited:

What is the purpose of finding the spring constant in the horizontal direction?

The spring constant in the horizontal direction is a measure of how much force is required to stretch or compress a spring in a horizontal direction. It is important in many scientific and engineering applications, such as designing springs for specific purposes or studying the motion of objects attached to springs.

How is the spring constant in the horizontal direction calculated?

The spring constant in the horizontal direction can be calculated by dividing the applied force by the resulting displacement. This is known as Hooke's law, which states that the force applied to an elastic material is directly proportional to the resulting change in length or shape.

What factors can affect the accuracy of the calculated spring constant in the horizontal direction?

The accuracy of the calculated spring constant can be affected by several factors, such as the elasticity and stiffness of the spring, external forces acting on the spring, and friction between the spring and its surrounding surfaces. It is important to carefully control and measure these factors to obtain an accurate value for the spring constant.

How can the spring constant in the horizontal direction be measured experimentally?

There are several methods to measure the spring constant in the horizontal direction experimentally. One common method is to use a force sensor to measure the applied force and a displacement sensor to measure the resulting change in length of the spring. The spring constant can then be calculated using Hooke's law.

Is the spring constant in the horizontal direction the same as the spring constant in the vertical direction?

No, the spring constant in the horizontal direction and the vertical direction are different. This is because the elasticity and stiffness of a spring can vary depending on the direction in which it is being compressed or stretched. Therefore, it is important to calculate and use the appropriate spring constant for the specific direction of force being applied.