Finding spring constant of mass

In summary, the mass on top of a light spring is compressed 67% of the distance it was at rest before it was compressed. It takes 1.3 seconds for the mass to reach the top of its trajectory. The spring constant is 6308.74 N/m.
Smartguy94

Homework Statement

The left side of the figure shows a light (`massless') spring of length 0.300 m in its relaxed position. It is compressed to 67.0 percent of its relaxed length, and a mass M= 0.190 kg is placed on top and released from rest (shown on the right).

[URL]http://loncapa.gwu.edu/res/msu/physicslib/msuphysicslib/13_EnergyConservation/graphics/prob24_CompSpring.gif[/URL]

The mass then travels vertically and it takes 1.30 s for the mass to reach the top of its trajectory. Calculate the spring constant, in N/m. (Use g=9.81 m/s2). Assume that the time required for the spring to reach its full extension is negligible.

Homework Equations

Fs=-kx
Us=(1/2)kx^2

The Attempt at a Solution

first off this is the data that i use

l(relax)=.3
l(tensed)=.201
so the X for spring = .3-.201 = .099
x=.099
m=.190
V(final)=0
t=1.3
a=-9.81
k=?

i found V(initial)

vFinal=vInitial+at
vInitial = 12.753

next i found the distance

x = v(initial) + (1/2)at^2
x= 8.2979

then i put

K+U(gravity)+U(spring)=Total energy
15.45+15.466+.0049K=0
K=6308.74

and it is wrong... I'm really confused

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it's wrong.

x = v(initial)t + (1/2)at2 is for constant acceleration.

Use y = -Acos(2πt/T) , where A is the amplitude of the motion and T is the period.

You should be able to get A and T from the given information.

SammyS said:
Yes, it's wrong.

x = v(initial)t + (1/2)at2 is for constant acceleration.

Use y = -Acos(2πt/T) , where A is the amplitude of the motion and T is the period.

You should be able to get A and T from the given information.

I don't think i have learned how to get A and T yet man..

i know T=2∏√(m/k)

but how can I get the K if that's what the question is asking?

beside T=2∏√(m/k) i believe i haven't learned any other equation yet that is relating to T, and I have no idea what A is..

T=2∏√(m/k) will work just fine. Solve it for k.

SammyS said:
T=2∏√(m/k) will work just fine. Solve it for k.

I'm honestly quite confused on how to solve for k when I don't know the value of T

How would you describe on period of the motion of this spring & mass combination?

(You are given information in this problem from which you can find T.)

Smartguy94 said:
i found V(initial)

vFinal=vInitial+at
vInitial = 12.753

x= 8.2979
What is this x, and why do you need it? If you don't explain what you are doing, it's difficult to say whether you are on the right track or not.

K=6308.74
I used the same basic method as you, but I found k a bit under 1800 N/m

Work done by spring = Integral from 0.099 to 0 of k.x

Equate this to the (K.E. of the mass with your vInitial) + (mgh for 0.099m rise)

Last edited:

x= 8.2979

then i put

K+U(gravity)+U(spring)=Total energy
15.45+15.466+.0049K=0
It seems to me that you might be counting the same energy twice here.
K.E. + U(gravity) are constant, once the mass has lost contact with the spring. You don't sum their maximum values. You either include K.E. when U is zero, or include U at the peak of the trajectory where speed is zero.

After having pondered this puzzle some more, I have are a few comments.

First, what I outlined above is not a complete answer. I should subtract from the 1.3 secs for flight that length of time during which the spring acts on the mass. It will be a small time, but that is no basis on which to overlook it. Unless we are being instructed to do so, viz., "Assume that the time required for the spring to reach its full extension is negligible."

Other respondents seem to view the arrangement as a spring bob, with the mass attached to the spring and giving SHM. I read it as a spring flinging the mass into the air, and the two becoming separated early in the piece. It would have helped had Smartguy94 included the diagram he was given which undoubtedly would clear this up.

Last edited:

Related to Finding spring constant of mass

1. What is the spring constant and how is it related to mass?

The spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of a spring and is represented by the letter k. It is directly related to the mass of an object attached to the spring and is calculated using the formula k = F/x, where F is the force applied to the spring and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

2. How do you determine the spring constant of a mass?

To determine the spring constant of a mass, you will need to conduct an experiment by applying different forces to the spring and measuring the corresponding displacements. Then, using the formula k = F/x, you can calculate the spring constant by dividing the force applied by the displacement of the spring.

3. What is the unit for spring constant?

The unit for spring constant is typically expressed in units of force divided by distance, such as N/m (newtons per meter) or kg/s^2 (kilograms per second squared).

4. Can the spring constant of a mass change?

Yes, the spring constant of a mass can change depending on the material, shape, and size of the spring. It can also change if the spring is stretched or compressed beyond its elastic limit, causing it to permanently deform.

5. How does the spring constant affect the motion of a mass?

The spring constant affects the motion of a mass by determining the force exerted on the mass by the spring. A higher spring constant means a stiffer spring and a greater force exerted on the mass, resulting in a faster or more vigorous motion. Conversely, a lower spring constant means a more flexible spring and a smaller force exerted on the mass, resulting in a slower or less vigorous motion.