Finding T1 Inversion Recovery NMR

In summary, to determine the relaxation time (T1) of a system, you can use the equation It = I∞ (1-2 exp -τ/T1) and plot τ vs amplitude on a graph. You can also use the equation T1 = τn/ln2 to calculate the relaxation time. Using a program can make the process easier, but you can also manually record and plot the data.
Lily Wright

Homework Statement

upload_2015-2-22_1-31-36.png

Homework Equations

It = I (1-2 exp -τ/T1)
Or I've got T1 = τn/ln2 where τn is the τ at node (M = 0)

The Attempt at a Solution

So would I plot τ vs amplitude on a graph and then what? Everything I've found seems to use a programme to do it?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

It looks like you are trying to determine the relaxation time (T1) for a system using the equation It = I∞ (1-2 exp -τ/T1). To plot τ vs amplitude, you would need to measure the amplitude (It) at different time intervals (τ) and then plot them on a graph. Once you have the data plotted, you can use the equation T1 = τn/ln2 to calculate the relaxation time for your system.

If you have access to a program, it can make the data collection and plotting process easier. However, you can also do it manually by recording the amplitude at different time intervals and then plotting them on a graph.

Hope this helps! Good luck with your experiment.

1. What is T1 inversion recovery NMR?

T1 inversion recovery NMR is a technique used in nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy to measure the relaxation times of a sample. It involves flipping the magnetization of the sample to a 180-degree angle and then measuring the time it takes for the magnetization to return to its original position. This can provide information about the molecular dynamics and structure of the sample.

2. How is T1 inversion recovery NMR performed?

T1 inversion recovery NMR is performed by applying a 180-degree radiofrequency pulse to the sample, which flips the magnetization. The sample is then allowed to relax for a variable amount of time, after which a 90-degree pulse is applied to measure the returning magnetization. This process is repeated multiple times with varying relaxation times to create a T1 relaxation curve.

3. What factors affect T1 inversion recovery NMR measurements?

The T1 inversion recovery NMR measurements can be affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the temperature of the sample, and the chemical properties of the sample. The type of solvent and the molecular dynamics of the sample can also impact the T1 relaxation time.

4. What are the applications of T1 inversion recovery NMR?

T1 inversion recovery NMR has many applications in chemistry, biology, and medicine. It can be used to study the structure and dynamics of molecules, determine the purity of a sample, and measure the concentration of a compound in a mixture. It is also used in medical imaging to provide information about tissue health and disease.

5. Are there any limitations to T1 inversion recovery NMR?

One limitation of T1 inversion recovery NMR is that it requires a relatively long relaxation time, which can range from milliseconds to seconds, depending on the sample. This means that it may not be suitable for samples with very short relaxation times. Additionally, the technique is sensitive to external factors, such as temperature changes, which can affect the accuracy of the measurements.