Finding tension of a cable on a beam

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a uniform beam attached to a wall with a cable at an angle of 30 degrees. The goal is to find the tension in the cable. The conversation goes through various equations and conditions to determine the correct answer, which is 98 N.
Dark Visitor
I am unsure of how to go about this problem, because whatever I tried wasn't right. So if anyone could help me by going step by step through it, showing all equations and numbers used, and then showing me the answers so I can make sure I get the same thing, I would appreciate it.

A uniform beam of length x = 1.0 m and mass 10 kg is attached to a wall by a cable at angle Θ = 30° to the horizontal, as shown in the figure. The beam is free to pivot at the point where it attaches to the wall. What is the tension in the cable?

http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1013774/7/jfk.Figure.P08.08.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Well no one at PF will directly give you the answers, we will help you however, arrive it. After you show some effort.

If that beam is in equilibrium in the diagram, what does that mean about the forces on the beam?

It means they will equal zero.

Dark Visitor said:
It means they will equal zero.

So if the sum of the forces in the y direction is zero and the sum of forces in the x-direction is zero, and the sum of the moments about any point is zero.

Can you use one of those conditions to find the tension?

Well, what I did when I first attempted the problem was I used the equation:

"Net Torgue = Tsin(30) - mg" which gave me 196 N as my tension, but this was wrong. Now I don't know where I went wrong.

Dark Visitor said:
Well, what I did when I first attempted the problem was I used the equation:

"Net Torgue = Tsin(30) - mg" which gave me 196 N as my tension, but this was wrong. Now I don't know where I went wrong.

If you are taking moments about the end, then the net torque is zero.

so

0= (Tsin30)*1-(A)mg

what the value of A (the distance from the force to the pivot point)?

1 m? Cause the board is 1 m long.

Dark Visitor said:
1 m? Cause the board is 1 m long.

The board is uniform, where is the weight acting?

The weight of the board is acting on the center of the board.

Dark Visitor said:
The weight of the board is acting on the center of the board.

and the center is how far away from the end?

0.5 m.

Dark Visitor said:
0.5 m.

so in 0= (Tsin30)*1-(A)mg, what is A?

0.5 m? So just plug that into the equation?

Dark Visitor said:
0.5 m? So just plug that into the equation?

which gives T as?

I got 98 N.

Dark Visitor said:
I got 98 N.

Is that the correct answer?

Yes. Thanks a lot dude.

What is the purpose of finding the tension of a cable on a beam?

The tension of a cable on a beam is an important factor in determining the structural integrity and stability of the beam. It is used to ensure that the beam can support the weight and forces placed upon it without breaking or collapsing.

How is the tension of a cable on a beam calculated?

The tension of a cable on a beam is calculated using the formula T = F x D, where T is the tension, F is the force applied to the cable, and D is the distance between the cable and the beam. This formula takes into account the weight of the beam and any additional forces acting on it.

What are the factors that affect the tension of a cable on a beam?

The tension of a cable on a beam can be affected by several factors, including the weight of the beam, the type and strength of the cable, the angle at which the cable is attached to the beam, and any external forces acting on the beam.

Why is it important to find the tension of a cable on a beam accurately?

Finding the tension of a cable on a beam accurately is crucial for the safety and stability of the structure. If the tension is too low, the beam may not be able to support the weight and forces acting on it, leading to potential collapse. If the tension is too high, it can cause damage to the beam and compromise its structural integrity.

What are some methods for measuring the tension of a cable on a beam?

There are various methods for measuring the tension of a cable on a beam, including using strain gauges, load cells, or laser measurement devices. These methods can provide accurate and precise measurements of the tension in the cable, allowing for proper adjustments to be made to ensure the safety and stability of the beam.