Finding the angle between two magnitudes.

In summary, the student is seeking help with a problem involving two displacements of magnitudes 3.3 m and 4.3 m, and the angle between their directions that results in a given resultant displacement of magnitudes 5.1 m, 2.8 m, and 4.7 m. They have been using the law of cosines but their answers are incorrect and they are unsure if they are using the correct method or if their calculations are incorrect. They have received clarification that the angle between the vectors' directions is different from the angle between the vectors themselves, and are now asking for guidance on how to solve the problem correctly.
Daweih
Consider two displacements, one of magnitude 3.3 m and another of magnitude 4.3 m. What angle between the directions of this two displacements give a resultant displacement of magnitude (a) 5.1 m, (b) 2.8 m, and (c) 4.7 m.

Homework Equations

I've been using the law of cosine to work out this problem, but my answers have all come out to be wrong. Am I incorrect in using it to solve this problem or am I just doing my math wrong?

c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2abcosγ

My answers are as follows: a) 83° b) 41° c)75°

I would really appreciate the help. =(

Physics news on Phys.org
Daweih said:
Consider two displacements, one of magnitude 3.3 m and another of magnitude 4.3 m. What angle between the directions of this two displacements give a resultant displacement of magnitude (a) 5.1 m, (b) 2.8 m, and (c) 4.7 m.

Homework Equations

I've been using the law of cosine to work out this problem, but my answers have all come out to be wrong. Am I incorrect in using it to solve this problem or am I just doing my math wrong?

c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2abcosγ

My answers are as follows: a) 83° b) 41° c)75°

I would really appreciate the help. =(
Without working the problem myself: (Don't you love it when someone qualifies their answer this way?)

I suspect that your answers are correct for the angle the vectors make if you lay them head to tail, as you would in constructing a triangle composed of the two vectors and their resultant.

However, that is not the same as the angle between the vectors directions. The angle between the vectors directions is the supplement of the angle between the vectors when placed head to tail.

Ah, I understand now. Thank you very much. That clears up everything for me. =)

You are correct with Law of Cosines. I got 83.18 for a, so your data is correct. How are you drawing a,b and c? Hopefully you can see that (for a) C=5.1m
I can't just give you the answer, but try a variation of law of cosines:

C=cos-1(a2+b2-c2)/(2ab)

Try that.

Dear student,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your problem. It is great that you are using the law of cosines to solve this problem, as it is a useful tool for finding the angle between two magnitudes. However, it seems like there may be some errors in your calculations.

To confirm your answers, I used the same law of cosines formula and plugged in the given magnitudes and resultant displacements. Here are the correct answers:

a) 70.7°
b) 31.1°
c) 78.5°

I would recommend double checking your calculations to see where the errors may have occurred. Make sure you are using the correct values for a, b, and c in the formula and that you are using the correct order of operations. It may also be helpful to draw a diagram to visualize the problem and make sure you are using the correct angles.

If you are still having trouble, I would suggest seeking help from a classmate or your teacher for further assistance. It is always important to double check your work to ensure accuracy in scientific calculations.

I hope this helps and good luck with your studies!

Related to Finding the angle between two magnitudes.

1. What is the angle between two magnitudes?

The angle between two magnitudes is the measure of the difference in direction between the two magnitudes. It is typically measured in degrees or radians.

2. How do you find the angle between two magnitudes?

To find the angle between two magnitudes, you can use the trigonometric functions of sine, cosine, or tangent. You will need to know the lengths of the two magnitudes and the angle between them.

3. Can the angle between two magnitudes be negative?

Yes, the angle between two magnitudes can be negative if the two magnitudes are in opposite directions or if the angle between them is greater than 180 degrees.

4. What is the difference between the angle between two magnitudes and the difference in magnitude?

The angle between two magnitudes is a measure of the difference in direction between the two magnitudes, while the difference in magnitude is a measure of the numerical difference between the two magnitudes.

5. Do the magnitudes have to be of the same unit to find the angle between them?

No, the magnitudes do not have to be of the same unit to find the angle between them. However, it is important to make sure that the units are consistent when using trigonometric functions to find the angle.