How to Find the Area of a Surface in the First Octant?

In summary: I know, but in this case there was just a simple constant to integrate, so I thought it was safe :smile:
wrongusername

Homework Statement

Find the area of the surface: The part of the plane 3x + 2y + z = 10 that lies in the first octant

Homework Equations

[tex]A=\iint_{D}|\vec{r}_{u}\times\vec{r}_{v}|dA[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I parametrized the plane:

[tex]\vec{r}\left(u,v\right)=<u,v,6-3u-2v>[/tex]

and found the partial derivatives of u and v
[tex]\vec{r}_{u}=<1,0,-3>[/tex]

[tex]\vec{r}_{v}=<0,1,-2>[/tex]

then got this for their cross product:
[tex]\vec{r}_{u}\times\vec{r}_{v}=<3,2,1>[/tex]

[tex]|\vec{r}_{u}\times\vec{r}_{v}|=\sqrt{14}[/tex]

I think u goes from 0 to 2 because that's the highest and lowest values for u before the plane exits the first octant. This is also why I think the integral of v goes from 0 to 3. I obtain this answer:
[tex]\int_{0}^{2}\int_{0}^{3}\sqrt{14}dvdu=6\sqrt{14}[/tex]

when the actual answer is half of that. What have I done wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi wrongusername! :smile:

(I haven't ploughed through all your equations, but …)

shouldn't the u limits depend on v (or vice versa)? :redface:

wrongusername said:
[tex]\vec{r}\left(u,v\right)=<u,v,6-3u-2v>[/tex]

And shouldn't that 6 be a 10?

tiny-tim said:
Hi wrongusername! :smile:

(I haven't ploughed through all your equations, but …)

shouldn't the u limits depend on v (or vice versa)? :redface:

Hi tiny-tim :biggrin:

I thought a surface in 3D was supposed to be parameterized with 2 variables u and v? (whereas a line integral in 2D was parameterized with just one variable t)

LCKurtz said:
And shouldn't that 6 be a 10?

Sorry, I copied the question down wrong :yuck:

It should be 3x + 2y + z = 6. Don't know where I got that 10 from.

wrongusername said:
Hi tiny-tim :biggrin:

I thought a surface in 3D was supposed to be parameterized with 2 variables u and v? (whereas a line integral in 2D was parameterized with just one variable t)

That's right. But your u and v are just new names for x and y. If you draw the first octant portion of the plane by locating its three intercepts, you will see the (x,y) domain is a triangle. Your limits on your integral describe a 2 by 3 rectangle.

LCKurtz said:
That's right. But your u and v are just new names for x and y. If you draw the first octant portion of the plane by locating its three intercepts, you will see the (x,y) domain is a triangle. Your limits on your integral describe a 2 by 3 rectangle.

Oh! I see. Since the domain is a triangle, its area is half of the rectangle I had integrated.

Thank you! :smile:

wrongusername said:
Oh! I see. Since the domain is a triangle, its area is half of the rectangle I had integrated.

Hold it!

Yes, it is a triangle, and therefore half the area of the rectangle, but that's not what you're supposed to be learning from this question.

You need to understand how one of the limits of a double integral can depend on one of the variables, and you clearly don't understand that yet.

Go back to your professor (or your book) and find how to integrate over irregular areas.

tiny-tim said:
Hold it!

Yes, it is a triangle, and therefore half the area of the rectangle, but that's not what you're supposed to be learning from this question.

You need to understand how one of the limits of a double integral can depend on one of the variables, and you clearly don't understand that yet.

Go back to your professor (or your book) and find how to integrate over irregular areas.

I think I do understand :smile:

The domain is the triangle with vertices (2, 0), (0, 3), and (0, 0) in the xy plane; thus, I integrate like this

[tex]\intop_{0}^{2}\intop_{0}^{3-1.5x}\sqrt{14}dydx=\intop_{0}^{2}\sqrt{14}y|_{0}^{3-1.5x}dx=\sqrt{14}\intop_{0}^{2}3-1.5xdx=\sqrt{14}\left[3x-0.75x^{2}\right]_{0}^{2}[/tex]

[tex]=\sqrt{14}\left(6-3\right)=3\sqrt{14}[/tex]

and get half the answer I first got. It's just that seeing it as a triangle with half the area of the rectangle was a lazy way to understand what I did wrong :biggrin:

Thank you for your help!

And hopefully you realize that had there been a variable density involved, taking half the answer over the rectangle would most likely have given the wrong answer. Dangerous shortcut.

LCKurtz said:
And hopefully you realize that had there been a variable density involved, taking half the answer over the rectangle would most likely have given the wrong answer. Dangerous shortcut.

I know, but in this case there was just a simple constant to integrate, so I thought it was safe :smile:

What is the formula for finding the area of a rectangle?

The formula for finding the area of a rectangle is length x width. This means that you multiply the length of the rectangle by its width to get the total area.

Can the area of a surface be negative?

No, the area of a surface cannot be negative. Area is a measurement of space, and space cannot have a negative value. If you get a negative value when finding the area, it is likely that you made a mistake in your calculations.

What unit of measurement is used for area?

The most commonly used unit for area is square units, such as square inches, square feet, or square meters. However, any unit of length can be squared to represent area.

Do all surfaces have a finite area?

No, not all surfaces have a finite area. For example, a line does not have a finite area because it has no width. In mathematics, these types of surfaces are known as "degenerate" or "non-measurable".

How is the area of an irregular shape calculated?

The area of an irregular shape can be calculated by dividing the shape into smaller, known shapes (such as triangles or rectangles) and finding the area of each individual shape. Then, add the areas of the smaller shapes together to get the total area of the irregular shape.