Finding the average concentrations given average Keq

• Thread starter DRC12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Average
In summary, the problem involves finding the average concentrations of Fe(SCN)+2, Fe3+, and SCN- using the equation Fe3++ SCN-→Fe(SCN)+2 and a known experimental K value of 394. The solution involves combining stoichiometry with equilibrium to calculate concentrations for each sample separately and then possibly averaging these concentrations if all samples were prepared in the same way.
DRC12

Homework Statement

How would I find the average concentrations of Fe(SCN)+2, Fe3+, and SCN- where the equation is Fe3++ SCN-→Fe(SCN)+2 and the Keq was found to be 394.

Homework Equations

I know the equation for Keq=[Fe(SCN)+2]/([Fe3+]*[SCN-])
but I have no idea how what other equations to use.

The Attempt at a Solution

and I haven't had any attempts at solving it

Physics news on Phys.org
No such thing as "average" here - you are looking just for concentrations using known value of K.

At the moment there is not enough information to solve the problem. Final concentrations depend on amounts of substances present - for example, if you add more Fe3+, equilibrium shifts slightly to the right and some more FeSCN2+ is made.

What is the whole questions?

The only reason its average is because I averaged four different solutions Keq. I already have the concentrations of the Fe(SCN)+2, Fe3+, and SCN- for four individual tests but the question asks to use the Keq average to find the average concentrations. I just realized that the questions says for solution #4 for which has 3mL of Fe3+ at ,002M, 6mL SCN- also .002M and 1.0mL water so do i find the molarity of each using M1V1=M2V2 then find the average Fe(SCN)2+ using the equation for Keq and the known average Keq
then 395=Fe(SCN)2+/(.00040+*.001)

It would be better to call your K "experimental" than "average" then. At least that would be my preference.

In general in such cases you have to combine stoichiometry with equilibrium. You know initial concentrations (from dilution), you know from the reaction stoichiometry how the concentrations change during the reaction (for example - for each mole of FeSCN2+ created one mole of Fe3+ is consumed), combine this information with K (for example using ICE table) and calculate concentrations for each sample separately. If all samples were prepared in the identical way you can average these concentrations afterwards, although I still don't see what for.

To find the average concentrations of Fe(SCN)+2, Fe3+, and SCN-, you can use the equation for Keq and rearrange it to solve for the concentrations. This can be done by multiplying both sides of the equation by [Fe3+]*[SCN-] and then dividing by Keq. This will give you the equation [Fe(SCN)+2] = Keq * ([Fe3+]*[SCN-]).

Next, you will need to plug in the value for Keq, which is 394 in this case, and solve for [Fe(SCN)+2]. Then, using the molar ratios from the balanced equation, you can calculate the concentrations of Fe3+ and SCN- by multiplying the molar ratio by the concentration of Fe(SCN)+2.

For example, if the molar ratio of Fe(SCN)+2 to Fe3+ is 1:1, then the concentration of Fe3+ would be equal to the concentration of Fe(SCN)+2. Similarly, if the molar ratio of Fe(SCN)+2 to SCN- is 1:1, then the concentration of SCN- would also be equal to the concentration of Fe(SCN)+2.

Once you have calculated the concentrations of all three species, you can take the average by adding the concentrations together and dividing by 3. This will give you the average concentrations of Fe(SCN)+2, Fe3+, and SCN- in the given equilibrium system.

It is also important to note that the concentrations should be in the same units for accurate calculation. I hope this helps.

Related to Finding the average concentrations given average Keq

What is Keq and how is it related to concentration?

Keq, or equilibrium constant, is a measure of the ratio of products to reactants at equilibrium in a chemical reaction. It is related to concentration because it is calculated using the molar concentrations of the products and reactants at equilibrium.

How do you calculate average Keq?

To calculate average Keq, you must first determine the equilibrium concentrations of the products and reactants. Then, divide the equilibrium concentration of the products by the equilibrium concentration of the reactants and raise it to the power of their respective coefficients in the balanced chemical equation.

What does average concentration mean?

Average concentration refers to the average amount of a substance in a given volume or mass. It is calculated by dividing the total amount of the substance by the total volume or mass in which it is present.

Why is it important to find the average concentrations given average Keq?

Finding the average concentrations given average Keq is important because it allows us to determine the equilibrium state of a chemical reaction and understand the relationship between the concentrations of the products and reactants. This information is crucial in predicting the direction and extent of a chemical reaction.

What units are used for average Keq and concentrations?

The units for average Keq depend on the specific chemical reaction being studied. However, the most common units for equilibrium constants are Molarity (M) or moles per liter (mol/L). Concentrations are also typically measured in M or mol/L. It is important to pay attention to the units when performing calculations involving average Keq and concentrations.