Simple solutions question (dilution)

• Thread starter Rujano
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dilution
In summary, the conversation discusses the final concentration of a solution formed by treating a 3 mL Fe3+ solution (0.0007 mol/L) with SCN- and then diluting it to 100 mL. The equation C1*M1= C2*M2 is mentioned, but it is noted that the formation of the complex may impact the final concentration. The question of which ion is being referred to and the final volume of the solution is raised, along with whether excess thiocyanate ion is added.
Rujano

Homework Statement

Hi. If I have 3 mL of a Fe3+ solution (0.0007 mol/L) and that is treated with SCN- to form a complex and then is diluted until I have 100 mL of a solution.

What would be the final concentraton of that solution?

Homework Equations

C1*M1= C2*M2

The Attempt at a Solution

I Thought of the equation above, but I know that the formation of that comple must change something!

Physics news on Phys.org
Rujano said:
What would be the final concentraton of that solution?

Concentration of what? You have several ions present (I can list about a dozen, but you don't have to know about most of them).

How many moles of your target compound or ion? What final volume is the solution? Molarity is moles per Liter. Is thiocyanate ion added in excess of the ferric ion?

Related to Simple solutions question (dilution)

1. What is dilution and why is it important in scientific experiments?

Dilution is the process of decreasing the concentration of a substance by adding more solvent. It is important in scientific experiments because it allows for more accurate measurements and reduces the risk of error or contamination.

2. How do you calculate the dilution factor?

The dilution factor is calculated by dividing the final volume of the diluted solution by the initial volume of the concentrated solution. For example, if you mix 10 mL of a concentrated solution with 90 mL of solvent, the dilution factor would be 1:10.

3. Can you dilute a solution too much?

Yes, it is possible to dilute a solution too much. This can result in a very low concentration, making it difficult to accurately measure or detect the substance. It is important to consider the desired concentration and the sensitivity of your measurements when diluting a solution.

4. Is there a specific order in which to add the solvent and the concentrated solution during dilution?

Yes, it is recommended to add the solvent first and then the concentrated solution. This allows for better mixing and reduces the risk of spilling or splashing the concentrated solution.

5. Can you reverse a dilution?

No, once a solution has been diluted, it cannot be reversed back to its original concentration. However, you can create a more concentrated solution by adding more of the concentrated solution or by evaporating some of the solvent.