Finding the center and radius of circles given an equation

In summary, the circle with the given equation is centered at (0,-2) and has a radius of 11, which can be derived from the standard form (x + a)² + (y + b)² = r².
Jim4592

Homework Statement

Find the center and the radius of the circle with the given equation.

Homework Equations

x2+y2+4y-117=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I first got it in standard form by completing the square:

x2+(y+2)2=121

but i don't know how to get the center and radius of it? I'm pretty sure its given in that form of the equation, right? but I'm not sure which numbers are the ordered pair.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jim4592 said:

Homework Statement

Find the center and the radius of the circle with the given equation.

Homework Equations

x2+y2+4y-117=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I first got it in standard form by completing the square:

x2+(y+2)2=121

but i don't know how to get the center and radius of it? I'm pretty sure its given in that form of the equation, right? but I'm not sure which numbers are the ordered pair.

Your basic standard form for a circle equation is (x-h)2+(y-k)2=r2. That form let's you directly read how the center has been translated and also shows the radius.

The general equation for a circle is:

(x + a)² + (y + b)² = r²

where (-a,-b) is the centre of the circle and r is the radius.

That should complete your problem, as you have already put it mostly into the right form

so the center of my circle is (0,-2) and would that make the radius 11, the square root of 121??

Jim4592 said:
so the center of my circle is (0,-2) and would that make the radius 11, the square root of 121??

(hmm … everyone else seems to have gone out, so …)

Yup! :biggrin:

FAQ: Finding the center and radius of circles given an equation

What is the general equation of a circle?

The general equation of a circle is (x - h)^2 + (y - k)^2 = r^2, where (h,k) represents the center of the circle and r represents the radius.

How do I find the center of a circle given its equation?

To find the center of a circle from its equation, you need to identify the values of h and k in the general equation. These values represent the x and y coordinates of the center, respectively.

How do I find the radius of a circle given its equation?

To find the radius of a circle from its equation, you need to take the square root of the value on the right side of the equation. This will give you the value of r, which represents the radius.

What if the equation of the circle is not in the general form?

If the equation of the circle is not in the general form, you can rearrange it by completing the square to get it into the (x - h)^2 + (y - k)^2 = r^2 form. Once in this form, you can easily identify the center and radius of the circle.

Can I use the Pythagorean Theorem to find the radius of a circle?

Yes, you can use the Pythagorean Theorem to find the radius of a circle. The Pythagorean Theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In the case of a circle, the radius is the hypotenuse and the x and y values are the other two sides, so you can use the Pythagorean Theorem to solve for the radius.

Back