Finding the charge when three charges are in equilibrium

In summary: You should end up with an equation that has q1, q2, Q, and r all in it. Then you can solve for q1. Does that make sense?In summary, the charges q1 and q2 will be in static equilibrium when the net force on q2, calculated by the sum of the forces between q2 and Q and between q2 and q1, is equal to zero. This can be represented by the equation K(Qq1/r^2) + K(Qq2/r^2) = 0. By solving for q1 in this equation, q1 can be determined and the charges will be in equilibrium. It is important to note that there should be two linearly
johnsch3
q1___________Q___________q2
10cm 10cm

In the figure above the charge in the middle is Q=-3.1nC. For what charge q1 will charge q2 be in static equilibrium?

Relevant equations
I think that F=kq1q2/r^2 is relevant

my attempt at a solution
Since the ions are in equilibrium I assumed that F=0. so F2onQ=F1onQ=0
thus kQq2/r^2=kQq1/r^2
so [(9x10^9)(3.1x10^-9C)(q2)]/.1^2=[(9x10^9)(3.1x10^-9C)(q1)]/.1^2

but I'm not quite sure where to go from here or if I'm even going in the right direction. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You're close with setting the two forces equal, but they aren't quite the correct forces to use. You want q2 to be in equilibrium, which means the forces you're going to be dealing with are those that act on q2. So that will be the force between Q and q2 and between q1 and q2. If you set up the force equations for those two pairs and then equate them, you should be able to solve for q1.

okay, I re-set up the equations to look like
[(9x10^9)(3.1x10^-9)(q2)]/.1^2=(9x10^9)(q1)(q2)/.2^2

And I know that I have to solve for q1, but I don't understand how I am supposed to do that without the value for q2. How do I solve for q2 or is there something I'm not seeing where I don't have to know it?

1) symbols man, they make things look so much prettier =]

2) whenever I have 2 unknowns I have to solve for, I always like to have 2 linearly independent equations. Makes things much easier, I've found.

Let me try to summarize what I think you've said so far, and maybe you'll see what's going on with this.

## F = K \frac{q_1q_2}{r^2}## is a relevant equation.

The charges are in equilibrium so we can say ##\Sigma F = 0##

That being in mind ##\Sigma F_{\text{ net on Q!}} = K \frac{Qq_1}{r^2} + K \frac{Qq_2}{r^2}##

[See anything yet?]

Now for some questions. How many forces act on each charge?
Therefore, how many forces should you have in the summation for each charge?

I'm trying to drop some hints without giving it away :smile:

P.S.
Can someone msg me and let me know why putting color tags in the middle of an equation makes the itex crap it's pants? I want to highlight certain elements i.e. subscripts but I can't... WTF ITEX

Try drawing and labeling the forces on q2.

Then set up your equation based on those forces, charges and distances.

1. How do you determine the charge when three charges are in equilibrium?

The charge can be determined by using the principle of electrostatic equilibrium, which states that the net force acting on a charge must be zero. This can be achieved by setting up an equation using Coulomb's law for each of the three charges and solving for the unknown charge.

2. What is the formula for finding the charge when three charges are in equilibrium?

The formula for finding the charge when three charges are in equilibrium is given by setting the sum of the forces acting on each charge to zero: Q1/r12 + Q2/r22 + Q3/r32 = 0, where Q1, Q2, and Q3 are the charges and r1, r2, and r3 are the distances between the charges.

3. Can the charge be negative when three charges are in equilibrium?

Yes, the charge can be negative when three charges are in equilibrium. The sign of the charge depends on the direction of the force acting on the charge. If the force is attractive, the charge will be negative. If the force is repulsive, the charge will be positive.

4. What are the units for the charge when three charges are in equilibrium?

The units for the charge when three charges are in equilibrium are Coulombs (C). This is the SI unit for electric charge and is defined as the amount of charge that passes through a point in a conductor in one second when a current of one ampere is flowing.

5. Can the charge be zero when three charges are in equilibrium?

Yes, the charge can be zero when three charges are in equilibrium. This can happen when the three charges are arranged in such a way that the net force acting on each charge is zero. In this case, the charges are said to be in perfect equilibrium.