Finding the circle of least confusion for a multi-element optical system

In summary: Aberration calculations can also be done in Excel or a similar program, but they are more complex than necessary for this question.
nevhuan
Hi,

I'm a mechanical engineer that's new to optics. I'm trying to determine the best location to place an image sensor for an optical system with multiple lenses and mirrors. In doing so, I've come to the understanding that the best position to put the sensor is at the circle of least confusion. However, I have a few questions:

1. Just to confirm, does this mean that the image is no longer formed at the Gaussian focus due to aberrations in the system?

2. From my understanding, the only way to find the circle of confusion is to find the focal point for a ray that enters the entrance pupil of the system at a height of 0.866d or 0.707d etc. I used the information from this website: "[URL ).[/URL] I notice that this only considers spherical aberration. What about astigmatic aberrations etc?

3. Is there a formula I can use in place of paraxial raytracing and aberration calculations?

Many thanks,
N.

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
nevhuan said:
Hi,

I'm a mechanical engineer that's new to optics. I'm trying to determine the best location to place an image sensor for an optical system with multiple lenses and mirrors. In doing so, I've come to the understanding that the best position to put the sensor is at the circle of least confusion. However, I have a few questions:

1. Just to confirm, does this mean that the image is no longer formed at the Gaussian focus due to aberrations in the system?

2. From my understanding, the only way to find the circle of confusion is to find the focal point for a ray that enters the entrance pupil of the system at a height of 0.866d or 0.707d etc. I used the information from this website: "[URL ).[/URL] I notice that this only considers spherical aberration. What about astigmatic aberrations etc?

3. Is there a formula I can use in place of paraxial raytracing and aberration calculations?

Many thanks,
N.

The website is http://www.telescope-optics.net/spherical1.htm"

nevhuan said:
Hi,

Yes- aberrations change the shape and location of the point spread function. Object points do not get mapped to an Airy disk, and the Airy disk is not uniform over the image plane.

nevhuan said:

It has been a while since I've done detailed ray tracing, but AFAIK the answer to the first question is 'not really'. The ray heights 0.866 and 0.707 correspond to the 'midpoint' (0.707) and 75% (0.866) of the entrance pupil diameter, those were chosen for convenience (and now, convention). But, in order to locate the circle of least confusion, a detailed ray trace must be performed.

Other aberrations will change things as well- astigmatic aberrations result in a 'medial' focal plane, similar to the circle of least confusion. Coma is another common aberration in telescope optics: off-axis stars are imaged as elliptical blobs.

nevhuan said:

Many thanks,
N.

I don't know of a simple formula that gives you the results you want. Ray tracing is fairly simple to perform (although it's also time consuming to perform by hand)- you can implement a ray trace algorithm in Excel, and there may even be semi-free programs available.

1. What is the circle of least confusion?

The circle of least confusion is a point in an optical system where light rays from a point source converge to a nearly circular spot, indicating minimal spherical aberration. This point is important for achieving sharp and clear images in multi-element optical systems.

2. How is the circle of least confusion determined?

The circle of least confusion is determined by using ray tracing techniques to analyze the path of light rays through the multi-element optical system. The point where the rays converge to a circular spot is identified as the circle of least confusion.

3. Why is the circle of least confusion important in optical systems?

The circle of least confusion is important because it represents the point of optimal image formation. By minimizing spherical aberration, it helps to ensure that images produced by the optical system are sharp and clear, without any distortions or blurriness.

4. Can the circle of least confusion be adjusted or controlled?

Yes, the circle of least confusion can be adjusted or controlled through various means such as using corrective lenses, optimizing lens designs, and adjusting the distance between lens elements. This allows for the optimization of image quality in multi-element optical systems.

5. Are there any limitations to finding the circle of least confusion?

While the circle of least confusion is an important factor in achieving high-quality images, it is not the only consideration. Other factors such as chromatic aberration, distortion, and diffraction can also affect image quality. Additionally, the circle of least confusion may vary for different wavelengths of light, so it may need to be optimized for a specific color or range of colors.