Saturated VapourPressure of Steam above Critical Temperature

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining how much water will condensate as a stream of moist air is expanded through a turbine. The person has been using Antoine's Equation but is facing issues with temperatures above 374 degrees C. They are looking for equations or tables to help with this issue and mention using a Mollier Chart and ASME Steam Tables in the past. It is noted that there is no saturated vapor pressure above the critical temperature.
Sorade
Hello all,

I am not sure my question will totally make sense for those of you who now this topic well but as I am new to it I hope I can be forgiven.

My problem is to work out how much water will condensate as a stream of moist air is expanded through a turbine.

So far I was using Antoine's Equation (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_equation) to determine how much water could be held in my gas stream at the turbine outlet Pressure and Temperature.

I however have cases where my outlet Temperature is greater than 374 degrees C, and my code returns an error. I have been looking for equations or tables providing the saturated vapour pressure for temperatures above 374 C but I couldn't find anything.

Any help or comment would be welcome.

Science news on Phys.org
There is no such thing as saturated vapor pressure above the critical temperature. No amount of pressure can cause a substance to condense if the temperature exceeds the critical temperature.

1. What is the definition of Saturated Vapour Pressure?

The Saturated Vapour Pressure (SVP) is the pressure exerted by a vapour when it is in equilibrium with its liquid phase at a given temperature. It is also known as the equilibrium vapour pressure.

2. What is the Critical Temperature for steam?

The Critical Temperature for steam is the temperature at which the liquid and vapour phases of water become indistinguishable from each other. Above this temperature, steam cannot be liquefied by pressure alone.

3. How is Saturated Vapour Pressure of Steam measured?

Saturated Vapour Pressure of Steam can be measured using various techniques, such as the isothermal method, the isobaric method, or the static method. These methods involve measuring the pressure and temperature of the steam in equilibrium with its liquid phase.

4. What factors affect the Saturated Vapour Pressure of Steam?

The Saturated Vapour Pressure of Steam is affected by temperature, pressure, and the presence of impurities in the steam. As temperature and pressure increase, the SVP also increases. Impurities in the steam can also affect the SVP by altering the equilibrium between the liquid and vapour phases.

5. What is the significance of understanding Saturated Vapour Pressure of Steam?

Understanding Saturated Vapour Pressure of Steam is important in various industries, such as power generation, chemical processing, and food production. It is also crucial in thermodynamics and phase equilibrium studies. Knowing the SVP helps in designing and operating efficient and safe processes involving steam.