Finding The Coordinates of The Center Of Curvature

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 7K views
Bashyboy
Messages
1,419
Reaction score
5

Homework Statement


Let C be a curve given by y = f(x). Let K be the curvature ([itex]K \ne 0[/itex]) and let [itex]z = \frac{1+ f'(x_0)^2}{f''(x_0)}[/itex]. Show that the coordinates [itex]( \alpha , \beta )[/itex] of the center of curvature at P are [itex]( \alpha , \beta ) = (x_0 -f'(x_0)z , y_0 + z)[/itex]


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I attached a picture of the solution. The portion of the solution with a half-box I would appreciate someone helping me with.
 
Attachments
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    37.3 KB · Views: 3,798
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, it is no longer that day in which I learn Linear Algebra. Today is devoted to reviewing multivariable calculus and electricity and magnetism. Tomorrow is when I resume Linear Algebra.
 
With respect to your question in this thread, if f'' > 0 the curve is concave up, so the circle is above the curve. At the point shown, f'' < 0 so the curve is concave down and the circle is below the curve. That determines whether ##\beta## is less or greater than ##y_0##.
 
Ooh, you are very right. Thank you much for your help.