Finding the current in a resistor

In summary, the homework statement is to find the current through a parallel resistor when the voltage is coming out of it. You do this by using ohm's law and determining the current for each branch.
Workout

Homework Statement

I have the picture attached.

Homework Equations

I = V/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I labelled the 2ohm and the 1ohm resisters in series (R1 and R2). Labelled 5ohm and 1 ohm in series R3, R4. So i found the Req

So R1 and R2 are in series so add them 2+1 = 3ohm. And R3 and R4 are in series so 5+1 = 6ohm. Then I found Req using 1/Req =
1/3ohm + 1/6ohm = 3/6 ohm, then inverse to get Req = 2ohm. And the final resistor is in series so add 4ohm + 2 ohm = 6 ohm in total for the circuit.

Then I did I=V/R

I = 12v/6ohm = 2A.

So that's the current for the entire circuit. How do I Find the current of the 2ohm resistor, when its going up the path.. does the 2A just split into the 2ohm and 5ohm resistors so it's just 1ohm going to the 2ohm resistor?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-11-07 at 11.48.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-07 at 11.48.11 PM.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 441
Physics news on Phys.org
Workout said:
So that's the current for the entire circuit. How do I Find the current of the 2ohm resistor, when its going up the path.. does the 2A just split into the 2ohm and 5ohm resistors so it's just 1ohm going to the 2ohm resistor?
The 2A is what flows through the 4Ω resistor and into the parallel resistors.
How do you determine the current through parallel resistors?

http://www.physics.uoguelph.ca/tutorials/ohm/Q.ohm.example.parallel.html
this may be of help :)

Last edited:
More current will flow to the branch with less resistance in a parallel circuit.

Total Current 2A

simplify the parallel branch as 3ohms vs 6 ohms, as (2+1) in series and (5+1) in series.

voltage across the main branch = 2A x 2ohms = 4V
because total resistance of the parallel branch is 2ohms.

reality check when the current is coming out from the parallel branch = 2A x 4ohms = 8V

yes, 8+4= supply 12V

Now apply ohm's law again,

current for the parallel branch 1= 4V / (2+1ohms) = 1.33A
current for the parallel branch 2= 4V / (5+1ohms) = 0.67A

Reality check = 1.33 + 0.67 = 2A
Reality check = 8V / 4ohms = 2A
yes, 2A is your total current. The answer also proved that my first quote is correct.

Last edited:
Thank you!

What is the formula for finding the current in a resistor?

The formula for finding the current in a resistor is I = V/R, where I is the current in amperes, V is the voltage in volts, and R is the resistance in ohms. This is known as Ohm's Law.

How do you calculate the resistance of a resistor?

The resistance of a resistor can be calculated by dividing the voltage across the resistor by the current flowing through it, using the formula R = V/I. Resistance is measured in ohms, represented by the Greek letter omega (Ω).

What factors affect the current in a resistor?

The current in a resistor is affected by the voltage applied to the circuit, the resistance of the resistor itself, and the overall resistance of the circuit. In general, a higher voltage will result in a higher current, while a higher resistance will result in a lower current.

How does the length and thickness of a wire affect the current in a resistor?

The length and thickness of a wire used in a resistor can affect the current by changing the overall resistance of the circuit. Longer wires will have a higher resistance, while thicker wires will have a lower resistance. This can impact the flow of current and potentially change the calculated value of the current in the resistor.

Is the current in a resistor always constant?

No, the current in a resistor is not always constant. It can vary based on changes in the voltage or resistance in the circuit. Additionally, some resistors are designed to have a varying current, such as in a variable resistor or potentiometer. However, in a simple circuit with a fixed voltage and resistance, the current will remain constant according to Ohm's Law.