Finding the Degree of of triangle.

In summary, the problem is to find the angle at which a water balloon was launched with given coordinates at the beginning and end of the launch. The attempt at a solution involved using the Pythagorean theorem and the sine ratio, but the correct method is still unclear.
anto3232

Homework Statement

I have to find the degree at which I am launching a water balloon and i have 2 quadratic formulas for the X and Y values versus time. The X and Y quadratic formulas for it was, X: 55.81t^2+(-2.197t)+0.5222
Y:52.62t^2+(-2.358t)+.4135

Homework Equations

Is A the length of x or y, and for 45 degrees shouldn't it be equal? for it to equal 45 degrees?

The Attempt at a Solution

Well i used a^2+b^2=C^2 and got 76.70, then i figured the angle of that side was 90 degrees so i set Sin (90)/76.70=sin (b)/52.62
and got .61 so i converted to % which is 61% but looking at the graph it didnt make much sense seeing as the length of A is greater than the Heigh (b) so wouldn't angle B, be smaller ?

Physics news on Phys.org
anto3232 said:

Homework Statement

I have to find the degree at which I am launching a water balloon and i have 2 quadratic formulas for the X and Y values versus time. The X and Y quadratic formulas for it was, X: 55.81t^2+(-2.197t)+0.5222
Y:52.62t^2+(-2.358t)+.4135

Homework Equations

Is A the length of x or y, and for 45 degrees shouldn't it be equal? for it to equal 45 degrees?
This space is for relevant equations, not questions. Anyway, how do you know that the balloon was launched at an angle of 45 degrees?
anto3232 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Well i used a^2+b^2=C^2 and got 76.70,
For what, c? And what did you use for a and b?
anto3232 said:
then i figured the angle of that side was 90 degrees so i set Sin (90)/76.70=sin (b)/52.62
and got .61
For what? Help us out here. Is this sin(b)?
anto3232 said:
so i converted to %
Why did you do that? I have no idea why you'd want to convert to a percent.
anto3232 said:
which is 61% but looking at the graph it didnt make much sense seeing as the length of A is greater than the Heigh (b) so wouldn't angle B, be smaller ?

You need to show us how you got sides a and b of your triangle.

Mark44 said:
This space is for relevant equations, not questions. Anyway, how do you know that the balloon was launched at an angle of 45 degrees?
Thats what I am trying to figure out, I am pretty sure it didnt because for my y graph i got 52.62 and for the x graph i got 55.81 which isn't equal meaning it aint 45 Degrees, so what I am trying to say is since i know the a and b how do i figure out the angle?
For what, c? And what did you use for a and b?
a=the x which is 55.81 and b= the y which is 52.62.
For what? Help us out here. Is this sin(b)?

Why did you do that? I have no idea why you'd want to convert to a percent.

You need to show us how you got sides a and b of your triangle.
Well i thought A for some reason was the 55.81 and B was the 52.62 from the two quadratic formulas, but i think that isn't right...

Hmm hold on ill let me take a look at what I am doing

okay so i have a water balloon launcher, it starts off at 0.51410733857,0.404340993843
and at the end of the launch its at 1.2249085093,1.03940105622, this is in meters btw..
What i need to do is find the angle or degree it launch's at. Do i X2-X1/Y2-Y1 it? I don't know that would just give me the slope but could that help me get the angle?

What's the exact wording of the problem? It seems like the problem as you first described it is different from what you have now. Where did the quadratic equations come from?

1. What is the degree of a triangle?

The degree of a triangle refers to the sum of all three of its interior angles. In other words, it is the amount of rotation needed to bring one side of the triangle to overlap with another side.

2. How can I find the degree of a triangle?

To find the degree of a triangle, you can use the formula: degree = 180 - (angle A + angle B). This means that you subtract the sum of two of the angles from 180 to find the remaining angle's degree.

3. Can the degree of a triangle be more than 180?

No, the degree of a triangle cannot be more than 180. Since the sum of the interior angles of a triangle is always 180, it is not possible for any single angle to have a degree greater than 180.

4. What is the relationship between the degree of a triangle and its shape?

The degree of a triangle is directly related to its shape. For example, an equilateral triangle has three equal angles, each measuring 60 degrees. A right triangle has one angle of 90 degrees, while an obtuse triangle has one angle greater than 90 degrees.

5. Can the degree of a triangle be negative?

No, the degree of a triangle cannot be negative. The degree of a triangle is always a positive value, as it represents the amount of rotation needed to bring two sides of the triangle to overlap.