1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the density.

1. Mar 4, 2014 #1
    These are 2 problems that I can solve, but I don't know how to tell the difference between these 2 when it comes to finding the densities. I just need to know how to tell whichmethod to use to find the density. I do not need the solution.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A)
    Suppose that (X; Y ) is uniformly chosen from the set given by 0 < X < 3 and x < y < root(3x). Find the marginal density fy (y) of Y.

B)
    If X is uniformly distributed on [0, 2], and given that X = x, Y is uniformly distributed on [x 2x], what is P[Y <2]?

2. The attempt at a solution
    For A), to find the joint density, I integrate 1 dy dx of the shape to get the area. the joint density is then 1/area. This makes sense to me.
    For B), integrating 1 dydx doesn't seem to work and instead, it is just simply combining f(x) and f(y). 1/2 * 1/x to get the density.

I understand the uniform shortcuts so I know where 1/2 and 1/x came from, but how do I know when to use which method? I,e. how do I know that I need to integrate 1, rather then just multiply f(x)*f(y).
    both tell us that x, y are uniformly distributed; I understand that the difference is that one involves a conditional distribution, so is that the determining factor?

3. Relevant equations
    if f(x) is uniform on (a,b), the area is b-a. the density would then be 1/(b-a).
    f(x)*f(y) = f(x,y) if independent.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Neither of your X and Y are independent, so that last equation is useless.

Think of what density really means:
    [tex] P(x < X < x + \Delta x, y < Y < y + \Delta y) \doteq f(x,y) \Delta x \, \Delta y [/tex]
    (neglecting smaller-order terms like ##(\Delta x)^2,## etc).
    This implies
    [tex] P(y < Y < y+\Delta y | X=x)
    \equiv \lim_{\Delta x \to 0} P(y < Y < y+\Delta y|x < X < x + \Delta x),[/tex]
    and this last conditional probability is
    [tex]P(y < Y < y+\Delta y|x < X < x + \Delta x) =
    \frac{P(x < X < x + \Delta x, y < Y < y + \Delta y)}{P(x <X < x + \Delta x)}[/tex]
    In other words, for small ##\Delta x, \, \Delta y## we have
    [tex] P(x < X < x + \Delta x, y < Y < y + \Delta y) \doteq
    P(y < Y < y+\Delta y | X=x) \cdot P(x <X < x + \Delta x)[/tex]
    You can take it from here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted