Calculate Density: Overflow Container w/ $100$ $cm^3$ & $120$ $g$ Stone

• Thread starter Bobs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    density
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an overflow container with a volume of 100 $cm^3$ and 80 $cm^3$ of water. When a stone weighing 120 g is dropped into the container, the water level increases by 10 $cm^3$. The conversation then discusses how to find the density in this scenario, with the response being that the equation for density is d = m/v but it is not clear how to apply it. The units of density are also mentioned, along with a reminder not to delete the template.
Bobs
A overflow container that its overflow level is $100$ $cm^3$ has $80$ $cm^3$ water. When a stone that is $120$ $g$ is being dropped into the overflow container, the water increases $10$ $cm^3$.

How to find the density?

I currently don't have any idea about it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bobs said:
A overflow container that its overflow level is $100$ $cm^3$ has $80$ $cm^3$ water. When a stone that is $120$ $g$ is being dropped into the overflow container, the water increases $10$ $cm^3$.

How to find the density?

I currently don't have any idea about it.
What are the units of density?

What equation relates volume, mass and density?

I just noticed you deleted the template. Please don't do that. It is there for a reason.

Likes Chestermiller
That's all are d = m/v but I don't know how to apply it.

Bobs said:
That's all are d = m/v but I don't know how to apply it.
In this specific problem, what is m equal to?

1. What is the formula for calculating density?

The formula for calculating density is density = mass / volume. In this case, the mass is 120 g and the volume is 100 cm^3, so the density would be 120 g / 100 cm^3 = 1.2 g/cm^3.

2. How do you measure the mass of the stone?

The mass of the stone can be measured using a scale or balance. The stone should be placed on the scale and the reading should be taken in grams.

3. How do you measure the volume of the overflow container?

The volume of the overflow container can be measured by filling it with water and measuring the amount of water that is displaced. This volume can then be converted to cubic centimeters (cm^3).

4. Why is it important to use consistent units for mass and volume?

It is important to use consistent units for mass and volume in order to accurately calculate density. If different units are used, the resulting density measurement will not be accurate.

5. What does the density of the stone tell us?

The density of the stone tells us how much mass is packed into a specific volume. It can also provide information about the type of material the stone is made of, as different materials have different densities.