Finding the determinent or the identity of the matrix?

In summary: The elimination and determinant methods can be done using a Computer, however the Laplace expansion can only be done by hand.In summary, the problem is that there is not an inverse for a matrix. There are several ways to find it, but the easiest is probably the determinant or Cayley-Hamilton method.
carltonblues
I have the following problem:

Let C= | 1 2 3 |
| 2 5 3 |
| 1 0 8 |

and D = | -40 16 a |
| b -5 -3 |
| 5 -2 -1 |

Determine the values of and and b such that D = C^-1

Do i start off by finding the determinent or the identity or whatever?

Physics news on Phys.org
If D = C^(-1), then CD = I, where I is the identity matrix. Multiply C and D to produce another 3x3 matrix and determine values for "a" and "b" such that this product has "1" for diagonal elements and "0" elsewhere. Take your time with the product so you don't make careless mistakes. If done correctly, the answer will be quite apparent.

~~

Last edited:
I got the product of CD to be:

13 0 a-9
-35 1 2a-18
0 0 a-8

I multiplied that by I and got the same number. What do I do now?

Cheers

What happened to "b"?? The variable "b" should appear in your product CD (just like "a" appears in CD). First multiply C & D correctly, then choose values of "a" & "b" such that diagonal elements are "1" and all others are "0". It should be quite apparent!
(Note: Do not multiply by "I". You want CD to BE "I" after selecting proper values for "a" and "b".)

~~

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. I get:

2b-25 0 a-9
5b-65 1 2a-18
0 0 a-8

So does that mean b= 13 and a=9 if you want the diagonals to be 1?

Thanks,

carltonblues said:
Thanks for the help. I get:

2b-25 0 a-9
5b-65 1 2a-18
0 0 a-8

So does that mean b= 13 and a=9 if you want the diagonals to be 1?

Thanks,
CORRECT. That's exactly how to solve the problem.

xanthym said:
CORRECT. That's exactly how to solve the problem.
Muchly appreciated man. Thank you :!)

Actually, you could have just found the inverse of the original matrix. Then the value of a and b would also be obvious.

There's at least three ways to find the inverse matrix:

The elimination or http://math.uww.edu/faculty/mcfarlat/inverse.htm method.

The determinant method .

The Cayley-Hamilton method (unfortunately, I can't find a good link that really breaks this one out - I have a book, Quaternions and Rotation Sequences by Jack Kuipers, that breaks this out so well even a beginner can understand it).
Edit: Okay, even though text only, this isn't too bad: http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/51978.html

There are also several other methods or variations. This link presents the first two in a different manner (Gaussian elimination and a LaPlace expansion).
http://qucs.sourceforge.net/tech/node15.html

The advantage of the determinant and the Cayley-Hamilton method is that you find out pretty quick whether or not there even is an inverse.

Last edited:

What is a matrix determinant and why is it important?

A matrix determinant is a numerical value that can be calculated for a square matrix. It is important because it provides information about the properties of the matrix, such as whether it is invertible or singular.

How do you find the determinant of a matrix?

The determinant of a matrix can be found by using various methods, such as the cofactor expansion method or the row reduction method. These methods involve performing mathematical operations on the matrix to simplify it and calculate the determinant.

What is the relationship between the determinant and the identity matrix?

The determinant of an identity matrix is always equal to 1. This means that if the determinant of a matrix is 1, it can be said that the matrix is an identity matrix. Additionally, the determinant of a matrix can be used to find the inverse of the matrix, which is important in solving systems of equations.

Can the determinant of a matrix be negative?

Yes, the determinant of a matrix can be negative. The sign of the determinant depends on the number of row swaps or column swaps that are performed during the calculation. If there is an odd number of swaps, the determinant will be negative, and if there is an even number, it will be positive.

How is the determinant of a matrix used in real-world applications?

The determinant of a matrix is used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to solve systems of equations, calculate the area of a parallelogram or volume of a parallelepiped, and determine the stability of a system in physics and engineering problems.