Finding the displacement of a point

In summary, the attachment shows a structure ABC where AB=3 m, BC=2 m. Both these parts have the same value for E and I which are 210 000 MPa and 2*10^6 mm4. A force of 5 kN acts as shown. The vertical displacement is 107 mm and the horizontal displacement is unknown.
TSN79
The attachment below shows a structure ABC where AB=3 m, BC=2 m. Both these parts have the same value for E and I which are 210 000 MPa and 2*10^6 mm4. A force of 5 kN acts as shown. Do not consider axial deformation. I am to find both the vertical and horizontal diplacement of point C. My first idea here was to flip the structure 90 degrees to the right and then consider AB as a cantilever beam which would now be acted on by a torque created by the force. A formula for calculating the downward displacement for such a beam is:

[tex]
\delta = \frac{{M \cdot l^2 }}{{2EI}}
[/tex]

With inserted values I get 107 mm, which sound realistic to me at least but correct me if it isn't. But now I'm completely stuck when it comes to finding the vertical displacement. What should I now do?

Attachments

• statics.jpg
    statics.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 436
Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on what have you learnt??

If it was up to me i will solve it with an energetic method such as Virtual Work.

What methods do you know? energetic and/or geometric?

Btw, your horizontal displacement is correct.

Last edited:
Virtual Work is totally unknown to me. I haven't really learned anything beyond normal statics and some basic things about deformation of materials.

Ok, i see. Are you taking intro to Mechanics of Materials?

I recommend James M. Gere's book.

Anyway, you should note that for the horizontal displacement all that was provoking it was the bending of member AB, so it was easy to just use the deflection on a cantilever beam by a couple or moment. In the case of the vertical displacement is different. The bending on member AB and the bending on member BC affects the total vertical displacement of point C.

I did some calculations with virtual work and the equation you are looking is:

[tex] \delta_{c} = \frac{P(BC)^{3}}{3EI} + \frac{P(BC)^{2} (AB)}{EI} \downarrow [/tex]

There's a way to get this result through the method of superposition. You can get the same result by adding the deflection of member BC like a cantilever beam with a load on its endpoint and another combo which eludes me right now. I'll see if i can recall.

Last edited:

What is displacement?

Displacement is a measure of the change in position of a point or object. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How is displacement calculated?

Displacement is calculated by subtracting the initial position from the final position of a point or object. It can be calculated in one, two, or three dimensions using different formulas.

What is the difference between displacement and distance?

Displacement is a vector quantity that takes into account the change in position and direction, while distance is a scalar quantity that only considers the total length of the path traveled.

How is displacement represented graphically?

Displacement is represented graphically using an arrow pointing from the initial position to the final position of a point or object. The length of the arrow represents the magnitude of the displacement, while the direction of the arrow represents the direction of displacement.

What are some real-life applications of calculating displacement?

Displacement is used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and navigation. It can be used to calculate the motion of objects, determine the efficiency of machines, and track the movement of vehicles or ships.