Finding the equation of the normal line at

Homework Statement

Find the equation, in standard form, of the normal line drawn to the graph of y=3x4 - 1/x at x = 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

-I figured out the slope of the tangent to be 12x3 + 1, then at x = 1 the slope is 13
-SO the slope of the normal being the negative reciprocal of 13 led me to get -1/13
-Plug that into the y - y1 = m(x - x1) equation and I get x +13y - 27 = 0 for the equation of the normal.

Im a little gun shy since the numbers seem abnormally large, so I would love if someone could verify this, or if im wrong, point me in the right direction of being right!

Cheers.

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor

Homework Statement

Find the equation, in standard form, of the normal line drawn to the graph of y=3x4 - 1/x at x = 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

-I figured out the slope of the tangent to be 12x3 + 1, then at x = 1 the slope is 13
-SO the slope of the normal being the negative reciprocal of 13 led me to get -1/13
-Plug that into the y - y1 = m(x - x1) equation and I get x +13y - 27 = 0 for the equation of the normal.

Im a little gun shy since the numbers seem abnormally large, so I would love if someone could verify this, or if im wrong, point me in the right direction of being right!

Cheers.

You are right that the derivative of [tex]3 {x^4}[/tex] is [tex]12{x^3}[/tex]

But what is the derivative ot 1/x again?

You made a minor mistake in your derivative, it should be 12x³ + 1/x², not 12x³ + 1. However, this doesn't affect the slope at x=1, and the rest of your derivation (including the answer) is correct.

YUP i see where I made the mistake. Instead of subtracting the 1 from the x-1 I added. But your right it doesnt affect the outcome. But thanks guys!