1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the equation of the normal line at

1. Dec 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the equation, in standard form, of the normal line drawn to the graph of y=3x4 - 1/x at x = 1

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

-I figured out the slope of the tangent to be 12x3 + 1, then at x = 1 the slope is 13
    -SO the slope of the normal being the negative reciprocal of 13 led me to get -1/13
    -Plug that into the y - y1 = m(x - x1) equation and I get x +13y - 27 = 0 for the equation of the normal.

Im a little gun shy since the numbers seem abnormally large, so I would love if someone could verify this, or if im wrong, point me in the right direction of being right!

Cheers.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2008 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You are right that the derivative of [tex]3 {x^4}[/tex] is [tex]12{x^3}[/tex]

But what is the derivative ot 1/x again?

4. Dec 15, 2008 #3
    You made a minor mistake in your derivative, it should be 12x³ + 1/x², not 12x³ + 1. However, this doesn't affect the slope at x=1, and the rest of your derivation (including the answer) is correct.

5. Dec 15, 2008 #4
    YUP i see where I made the mistake. Instead of subtracting the 1 from the x-1 I added. But your right it doesnt affect the outcome. But thanks guys!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?