What is the force exerted on a 380 kg piano on a ramp with an incline of 27*?

• Thread starter lemonlee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the man exerted a force of 1700N on the piano to keep it from accelerating. The work done by the man was 1600N, and the work done by the force of gravity was 2000N. The net work done on the piano was 0N.
lemonlee

Homework Statement

a 380 kg piano slides 3.9m down a ramp with an incline of 27* and is kept from accelerating by a man pushing parallel to the incline. Find the force exerted by the man, the work done by the man on the piano, the work done by the force of gravity, and the net work on the piano. Ignore friction.

Homework Equations

F=ma
W=F*d*cos27

The Attempt at a Solution

Once i get the force exerted by the man, I know what to do, I just can't get the right answer. I drew out a force diagram and then tried the equation, but can't get to the given answer of 1700N

Physics news on Phys.org
lemonlee said:

Homework Statement

a 380 kg piano slides 3.9m down a ramp with an incline of 27* and is kept from accelerating by a man pushing parallel to the incline. Find the force exerted by the man, the work done by the man on the piano, the work done by the force of gravity, and the net work on the piano. Ignore friction.

Homework Equations

F=ma
W=F*d*cos27

The Attempt at a Solution

Once i get the force exerted by the man, I know what to do, I just can't get the right answer. I drew out a force diagram and then tried the equation, but can't get to the given answer of 1700N

I think you've assigned the wrong trig. function to the angle. Using [tex]\sin(3\pi/20)[/tex], you get 1692N, which, after keeping 2 sig. figg., results in 1700N...

so I can assume that the net force is zero because the piano is accelerating, right? wouldn't that just make the force exerted by the man 4.45N?

I think i might be missing a step

lemonlee said:
so I can assume that the net force is zero because the piano is accelerating, right? wouldn't that just make the force exerted by the man 4.45N?

I think i might be missing a step

...RIght, well, because the piano isn't accelerating, the sum of the forces is zero. So, the force exerted by the man was imposed after motion began and is equal and opposite that of the x-component of gravity acting upon the piano.

oh i see what i forgot, I didn't multiply by the mass, I was just solving for F=a...

oops!
thank you for explaining that :)

lemonlee said:
oh i see what i forgot, I didn't multiply by the mass, I was just solving for F=a...

oops!
thank you for explaining that :)

You're very welcome.

What is force and how is it measured?

Force is defined as a push or pull on an object. It is measured in units of Newtons (N) using a spring scale or force meter.

What factors affect the amount of force exerted?

The amount of force exerted depends on the mass and acceleration of the object. In addition, the direction and type of force, such as friction or gravity, can also affect the amount of force.

How do you find the net force exerted on an object?

To find the net force exerted on an object, you must first determine all the individual forces acting on the object. Then, use vector addition to find the sum of all the forces. The resulting vector will be the net force exerted on the object.

How does force affect an object's motion?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force exerted on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that a greater force will result in a greater acceleration, while a smaller force will result in a smaller acceleration.

How is force related to work and energy?

Force is related to work and energy through the equation W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is the displacement of the object. This means that a larger force will result in more work being done on the object, which will in turn increase its energy.