Finding the forces exerted with the center of mass?

In summary, a 1540-kg truck with a wheel base of 3.13 m and a center of mass 1.29 m behind the front axle exerts a force of 4440 N on each of the front wheels and 3110 N on each of the back wheels. The weight distribution can be calculated without considering torque.
joeyjane

Homework Statement

A 1540-kg truck has a wheel base of 3.13 m (this is the distance between the front and rear axles). The center of mass of the truck is 1.29 M behind the front axle.
(a) What is the force exerted by the ground on each of the front wheels?
(b) What is the force exerted by the ground on each of the back wheels?

The distance from the back wheels to the center of mass is d1, and the distance from the front to the center is d2

Homework Equations

(the sum of the torques)=-mgd1+2Ffront(d1+d2)=0

The Attempt at a Solution

The equation I was using was the one my teacher gave us while trying to help with the homework but I didn't get the right answers using it. Any suggestions?

The answers are supposed to be 4440 N for part a, and 3110 N for part b.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you're professor was going for, but you don't actually need torque to solve this problem. The weight of the car will be distributed the same whether its is moving or standing still (neglecting air resistance and possible lift issues). My advice is not to worry about fact that they're wheels and just see how the weight is distributed at the four points with the center of mass you were given. I checked and doing it that way, you get the right answer to the number of sig figs you were given.

1. What is the center of mass?

The center of mass is the point at which the mass of an object is evenly distributed in all directions. It is the point around which an object will rotate or balance.

2. How is the center of mass determined?

The center of mass can be determined by finding the average position of all the individual particles that make up an object. This can be done through mathematical calculations or by physically balancing the object on a point.

3. Why is knowing the center of mass important?

Knowing the center of mass is important because it helps us understand how objects will behave when acted upon by external forces. It also allows us to determine the stability and balance of an object.

4. How do you calculate the forces exerted at the center of mass?

The forces exerted at the center of mass can be calculated by using the formula F = m x a, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration. This formula is based on Newton's Second Law of Motion.

5. Can the center of mass change?

Yes, the center of mass can change depending on the distribution of mass within an object. For example, if one side of an object is heavier than the other, the center of mass will shift towards the heavier side.