Finding the Fourier Sine Series

In summary: It's ok I figured it out...there was another example with and extra (-1) that they didn't include initially so: (-1)(-1)n = (-1)n+1In summary, the Fourier Sine Series for f(x) = x on -L < x < L (Full Fourier) involves calculating the coefficients for the sine and cosine parts, which can be interpreted through the relationships between cos(n\pi) and cos(-n\pi) as well as the sine values. For the sine function, the coefficients will all go to 0 since sin(n\pi) = 0 for any integer n. As for the cosine function, the coefficients will have a value of 2cos(n\pi) since
trap101
Find the Fourier SIne Series for f(x) = x on -L < x < L (Full Fourier)

Ok, so my issue is in calculating the coefficients for the sine and cosine parts, more so an interpretation. So I have calulated the sine and cosine series to this point:

let An: Cosine series Bn: sine series:

An = l/(n[itex]\pi[/itex])) [ sin(n[itex]\pi[/itex] + sin(-n[itex]\pi[/itex])] - l/(n2[itex]\pi[/itex]2) [sin(n[itex]\pi[/itex]) - sin(-n[itex]\pi[/itex])]

Bn = l/(n[itex]\pi[/itex])) [ cos(n[itex]\pi[/itex] + cos(-n[itex]\pi[/itex])] - l/(n2[itex]\pi[/itex]2) [cos(n[itex]\pi[/itex]) - cos(-n[itex]\pi[/itex])]

My questions are these: How do I interpret the relationship between cos(n[itex]\pi[/itex]) and cos(-n[itex]\pi[/itex])? and the same with the sine values?

My take is this: for the sine function, since all of the sine coeffcients have a [itex]\pi[/itex] in them then it doesn't matter what value I select for "n", they will all go to 0.

As for the cosine: Since cos(n[itex]\pi[/itex]) and cos(-n[itex]\pi[/itex]) end up going to the same value, just in opposite directions, I will have 2cos(ncos(n[itex]\pi[/itex]) since cos(n[itex]\pi[/itex]) = cos(-n[itex]\pi[/itex]) in values.

Physics news on Phys.org
trap101 said:
Find the Fourier SIne Series for f(x) = x on -L < x < L (Full Fourier)

Ok, so my issue is in calculating the coefficients for the sine and cosine parts, more so an interpretation. So I have calulated the sine and cosine series to this point:

let An: Cosine series Bn: sine series:

An = l/(n[itex]\pi[/itex])) [ sin(n[itex]\pi[/itex] + sin(-n[itex]\pi[/itex])] - l/(n2[itex]\pi[/itex]2) [sin(n[itex]\pi[/itex]) - sin(-n[itex]\pi[/itex])]

Bn = l/(n[itex]\pi[/itex])) [ cos(n[itex]\pi[/itex] + cos(-n[itex]\pi[/itex])] - l/(n2[itex]\pi[/itex]2) [cos(n[itex]\pi[/itex]) - cos(-n[itex]\pi[/itex])]

My questions are these: How do I interpret the relationship between cos(n[itex]\pi[/itex]) and cos(-n[itex]\pi[/itex])? and the same with the sine values?

My take is this: for the sine function, since all of the sine coeffcients have a [itex]\pi[/itex] in them then it doesn't matter what value I select for "n", they will all go to 0.

Yes. ##\sin n\pi = 0## for any integer ##n##, so just leave those terms out of your series.

As for the cosine: Since cos(n[itex]\pi[/itex]) and cos(-n[itex]\pi[/itex]) end up going to the same value, just in opposite directions, I will have 2cos(ncos(n[itex]\pi[/itex]) since cos(n[itex]\pi[/itex]) = cos(-n[itex]\pi[/itex]) in values.

I think you mean ##\cos(n\pi) + \cos(-n\pi) = 2\cos(n\pi)## and ##\cos(n\pi) - \cos(-n\pi) = 0##. Also sometimes you will see ##\cos(n\pi)=(-1)^n##.

LCKurtz said:
Yes. ##\sin n\pi = 0## for any integer ##n##, so just leave those terms out of your series.

I think you mean ##\cos(n\pi) + \cos(-n\pi) = 2\cos(n\pi)## and ##\cos(n\pi) - \cos(-n\pi) = 0##. Also sometimes you will see ##\cos(n\pi)=(-1)^n##.

Yes that actually brings up anouther question I had with regards to ##\cos(n\pi)=(-1)^n##

I noticed that they expressed a couple of final results using that expression of (-1)n. Why is that?

trap101 said:
Yes that actually brings up anouther question I had with regards to ##\cos(n\pi)=(-1)^n##

I noticed that they expressed a couple of final results using that expression of (-1)n. Why is that?

I don't understand your question. They are equal.

LCKurtz said:
I don't understand your question. They are equal.

It's ok I figured it out...there was another example with and extra (-1) that they didn't include initially so: (-1)(-1)n = (-1)n+1

1. What is the Fourier Sine Series?

The Fourier Sine Series is a mathematical method used to represent a periodic function as an infinite sum of sine functions with different frequencies and amplitudes. It is a fundamental tool in the study of vibrations, sound, and other periodic phenomena.

2. How is the Fourier Sine Series calculated?

The coefficients of the Fourier Sine Series are calculated using integration techniques, specifically the orthogonality of sine functions. This involves finding the inner product of the function being approximated and each sine function in the series.

3. What is the difference between the Fourier Sine Series and the Fourier Series?

The Fourier Series includes both sine and cosine functions, while the Fourier Sine Series only includes sine functions. This means that the Fourier Sine Series is only used to approximate odd functions, while the Fourier Series can be used for both even and odd functions.

4. What is the purpose of finding the Fourier Sine Series?

The Fourier Sine Series allows us to approximate a given function with a sum of simpler sine functions, making it easier to analyze and understand the behavior of the original function. It is also useful in solving differential equations and in signal processing.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Fourier Sine Series?

The Fourier Sine Series can only be used to approximate functions that are periodic and have a period of 2π. It also requires the function to be continuous and have a finite number of discontinuities within its period. Additionally, the series may not converge if the function has sharp corners or steep changes in a short interval.