1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Fourier Sine Series

1. Nov 3, 2013 #1
    Find the Fourier SIne Series for f(x) = x on -L < x < L (Full Fourier)

Ok, so my issue is in calculating the coefficients for the sine and cosine parts, more so an interpretation. So I have calulated the sine and cosine series to this point:

let An: Cosine series Bn: sine series:

An = l/(n[itex]\pi[/itex])) [ sin(n[itex]\pi[/itex] + sin(-n[itex]\pi[/itex])] - l/(n2[itex]\pi[/itex]2) [sin(n[itex]\pi[/itex]) - sin(-n[itex]\pi[/itex])]

Bn = l/(n[itex]\pi[/itex])) [ cos(n[itex]\pi[/itex] + cos(-n[itex]\pi[/itex])] - l/(n2[itex]\pi[/itex]2) [cos(n[itex]\pi[/itex]) - cos(-n[itex]\pi[/itex])]

My questions are these: How do I interpret the relationship between cos(n[itex]\pi[/itex]) and cos(-n[itex]\pi[/itex])? and the same with the sine values?

My take is this: for the sine function, since all of the sine coeffcients have a [itex]\pi[/itex] in them then it doesn't matter what value I select for "n", they will all go to 0.

As for the cosine: Since cos(n[itex]\pi[/itex]) and cos(-n[itex]\pi[/itex]) end up going to the same value, just in opposite directions, I will have 2cos(ncos(n[itex]\pi[/itex]) since cos(n[itex]\pi[/itex]) = cos(-n[itex]\pi[/itex]) in values.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. ##\sin n\pi = 0## for any integer ##n##, so just leave those terms out of your series.

I think you mean ##\cos(n\pi) + \cos(-n\pi) = 2\cos(n\pi)## and ##\cos(n\pi) - \cos(-n\pi) = 0##. Also sometimes you will see ##\cos(n\pi)=(-1)^n##.

4. Nov 3, 2013 #3

Yes that actually brings up anouther question I had with regards to ##\cos(n\pi)=(-1)^n##

I noticed that they expressed a couple of final results using that expression of (-1)n. Why is that?

5. Nov 3, 2013 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't understand your question. They are equal.

6. Nov 3, 2013 #5
    It's ok I figured it out......there was another example with and extra (-1) that they didn't include initially so: (-1)(-1)n = (-1)n+1

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted