1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the frequency of small oscillations given potential energy U

1. May 8, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The potential energy of a particle of mass m near the position of equilibrium is given by U=U0sin2(αx) where U0 and α are constants. Find the frequency of the small oscillations about the position of equilibrium.

2. Relevant equations
    Work energy equation (1/2)kx12+(1/2)mv12=(1/2)kx22+(1/2)mv22

3. The attempt at a solution
    (1/2)kx2=U0sin2(αx)
    Differentiating twice and rearranging:
    k=2U0α2cos(2αx)

I'm confused from here. Am I supposed to use the work energy relation?
    I vaguely remember learning about sin(θ)≈θ when θ is small and also about Taylor expansion.
    Any hints will be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2015 #2
    Hiya I think I might be able to help you out a bit here. I must admit I don't understand what the "work energy equation" is supposed to represent. I assume x1 and x2 are independent degrees of freedom, in which case you have the total energy of one particle (work done + kinetic energy) equals the total energy of another particle?
    Regardless, you should be able to solve the problem without it. In your attempt at a solution you seem to be solving for k but thats not what helping, as k is a spring constant (if I understood your equation correctly). Basically you wish to find an equation for position x and then find the frequency (inverse of the period) of the system. Remember Newton's equation for the unbalanced force on a system ##m\ddot{x}=-\frac{\partial U}{\partial x}## where ##\ddot{x}## denotes the second derivative of position with respect to time (i.e. acceleration). Solving this equation should yield the answer.

4. May 8, 2015 #3
    Hello. Thanks for the reply.

I understand. So I got to a=(U0α/m)sin(2αx) where 'a' denotes x double dot.
    Since the angle is small, we can think of the system as simple harmonic motion. In that case, the general form should be d2x/dt2+w2x=0.
    We already have dx2/dt2 but how do find w2x? Or am I not going the right direction?

Thank you.

5. May 8, 2015 #4
    Yes you are on the right track, remember if ##\theta## is small then ##sin(\theta)=\theta##, as we may taylor expand the sin function about zero to find ##sin(\theta) = \theta + \frac{\theta^3}{3!} + \frac{\theta^5}{5!} +...## where ##\theta<<1 \Rightarrow \theta^3 \approx 0##. This means ##sin(2\alpha x) \approx 2\alpha x## for small x. Also you have missed out a negative in your equation (check your calculations).

6. May 9, 2015 #5
    Thank you so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted