Finding the general solution of a system of differential equations

In summary, the conversation discusses finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors for a given matrix. The suggested method is to find the determinant and solve for the roots, which are the eigenvalues. The conversation then focuses on finding the eigenvector corresponding to the eigenvalue 1, which is <x, 0, 0>. The issue of finding the third eigenvector for an eigenvalue that is the same as the second is also mentioned.
chris_0101

Homework Statement

The question is:
question 7.JPG

Homework Equations

I really don't know what to put here but my method is:
-Find det(A-[tex]\lambda[/tex]I)
-Find the roots of the determinant - which are the eigenvalues
-Solve for (X -([tex]\lambda[/tex])I)

I am stuck at this part

The Attempt at a Solution

So I managed to find the determinant, which is:
[tex]\lambda[/tex]^3 -5[tex]\lambda[/tex]^2 -3[tex]\lambda[/tex] +9

The Eigenvalues are:
[tex]\lambda[/tex]1 = 1
[tex]\lambda[/tex]2 = -3
[tex]\lambda[/tex]3 = -3

Now I'm trying to solve for the eigenvector of eigenvalue 1, however manipulating the matrix does not yield anything that I can use to solve for k1 k2 and k3

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
An eigenvector [tex]\begin{pmatrix}x \\ y \\ z\end{pmatrix}[/tex] corresponding to eigenvalue 1 must, of course, satisfy
[tex]\begin{pmatrix}1 & -1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 & -2 \\ 0 & 2 & -5\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}x \\ y \\ z\end{pmatrix}= \begin{pmatrix}x \\ y \\ z\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]\begin{pmatrix}x - y \\ -y- 2z \\ 2y- 5z \end{pmatrix}= \begin{pmatrix}x \\ y \\ z\end{pmatrix}[/tex]
Which means we must solve x- y= x, -y- 2z= y, 2y- 5z= z. From the first, equation, subtracting x from both sides, -y= 0 so y= 0. Putting that into both of the other equations, z= 0. Therefore, any eigenvector must be of the form <x, 0, 0>.

Hey, thanks for the response, I now understand what you have mentioned. Now I have run into another issue, finding the third eigenvector. I managed to find the second eigenvector for eigenvalue2, which is <1,4,4>. Now the third eigenvalue is the same as the second so I would assume that the eigenvector will be the same however this is not the case. Using Wolfram alpha, the third eigenvector is <0,0,0> and I don't know how to get this eigenvector. Any help would be great,
Thanks

What is the general solution of a system of differential equations?

The general solution of a system of differential equations is a set of equations that satisfies all possible initial conditions for the given system. It represents the most comprehensive solution for the system and can be used to find specific solutions for different initial conditions.

How do you find the general solution of a system of differential equations?

To find the general solution, you need to first solve the system of differential equations using various methods such as substitution, elimination, or matrix operations. Then, you need to integrate the resulting equations to eliminate any constants and obtain a set of equations that can satisfy all possible initial conditions.

What is the difference between a general solution and a particular solution?

A general solution is a set of equations that can satisfy all possible initial conditions for a system of differential equations, while a particular solution is a specific set of equations that satisfies a given set of initial conditions. A particular solution can be obtained from the general solution by substituting the specific initial conditions.

Why is it important to find the general solution of a system of differential equations?

Finding the general solution allows us to understand the behavior of a system of differential equations and predict its future state. It also provides a way to solve for specific solutions for different initial conditions and make accurate predictions in various real-world applications, such as in physics and engineering.

What are some common methods used to find the general solution of a system of differential equations?

Some common methods include substitution, elimination, matrix operations, and separation of variables. Other methods, such as Laplace transforms, can also be used depending on the complexity of the system. It is important to choose the most appropriate method for the given system to obtain an accurate general solution.