Finding the gravitational force

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a physics question on their study guide. The question involves finding the gravitational force on a mass of 2 kg in a triangle configuration with two other masses. The student is unsure if they should use the formula F=F12+F13 and the other person suggests using superposition for an equilateral triangle.
nissanfreak
This is the last question I have on my study guide that I can't solve. My physics test is tomorrow and I just want to be ready for it. Please help me figure this one out!

What is the gravitation force on mass 1 if each mass is 2 kg?

O<---(5m)---->O mass3
I -
I -
(2m) -
I -
O - < mass1

Well I hope you can understand that.
I know that the hypotonuse is the square root of 29 so I am guessing I need to use the formula F=F12+F13 to get the answer right or wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
well my crude attempt at a diagram didnt come out so good lol. But its supposed to look like a triangle.

If you're trying to use the net force, then you will want to use superposition, which is basically what you are implementing. If its an equilateral triangle then some components will cancel, depending on how the triangle is configured.

What is the gravitational force?

The gravitational force is a natural phenomenon that causes objects with mass to attract each other. It is the force that keeps planets in orbit around the sun and holds us to the surface of the Earth.

How is the gravitational force measured?

The gravitational force can be measured using Newton's law of universal gravitation, which states that the force between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What factors affect the strength of the gravitational force?

The strength of the gravitational force depends on the masses of the two objects and the distance between them. The greater the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational force. The farther apart two objects are, the weaker the gravitational force between them.

How does the gravitational force vary on different planets?

The gravitational force on a planet depends on its mass and radius. The larger the mass of a planet, the stronger its gravitational force. However, the farther away an object is from the planet's center, the weaker the gravitational force will be.

What are some real-life applications of understanding the gravitational force?

The understanding of the gravitational force has many practical applications, such as predicting the motion of celestial bodies, calculating the weight of an object on different planets, and designing space missions. It also plays a crucial role in the field of engineering, such as designing structures that can withstand the force of gravity.