What is the Inductance of a Coil with Changing Magnetic Field and Current?

• Thread starter JDiorio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inductance
In summary, the problem involves finding the inductance of an inductor with 2074 turns and a diameter of 1.9 mm, placed in a magnetic field increasing at a rate of 0.48 T/s. The current in the inductor starts at 0 and increases to 6.9 mA in 1.0 s. The equation used is L=(u*N^2*A)/length, but the length is not given. Another approach is using the formula emf= -L(dI/dt) and integrating to find L, but this is not necessary as the values for dt and di are given and can be substituted into the formula to find the inductance.
JDiorio

Homework Statement

An inductor has the form of a coil with 2074 turns and a diameter of 1.9 mm . The inductor is placed in a magnetic field perpendicular to the plane of the coil and increasing at a rate of 0.48 T/s . The current in the inductor is zero at t = 0, and then increases to 6.9 mA at t = 1.0 s. What is the inductance?

Homework Equations

This is the problem, I am obviously missing something.
I want to use the equation L= (u*N^2*A)/length.. but as you can see I am not given the length. I do not know how to incorporate the charge into finding the inductance.

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel like I am close. I am trying to use the increase rate of the magnetic field to find the emf, and then use the emf and the current to find the inductance, but then i get stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org

So I found the formula emf= -L ( dI/dt) where d = change in. How do I derive the emf from the information given. Also, this formula does not involve the number of turns nor does it involve the diameter.. so is this just extra information?

You can the equation as
emf = - NAdB/dt = L*di/dt. Or
NA(dB/dt)*dt = L*di
Take integration on both side and find L.

is there anyway to do this problem without calculus? This is a non-calc based class so i have no clue how i would go about taking the integral..

JDiorio said:
is there anyway to do this problem without calculus? This is a non-calc based class so i have no clue how i would go about taking the integral..

In the given problem, dt is given(1s). di is given(6.9 mA). Substitute in the formula to get the inductance. No need to take integration.

thanks a lot.. i finally got this stupid question.. really appreciate the help! thanks again..

What is inductance and why is it important?

Inductance is the property of an electrical circuit that causes an electromotive force to be generated in the presence of a changing current. It is important because it affects the behavior of electronic components and can be used to control the flow of electricity in a circuit.

How is inductance measured?

Inductance is measured in units called henries (H) using an instrument called an inductance meter. The inductance meter sends a known alternating current through the circuit and measures the resulting electromotive force to calculate the inductance.

What factors affect the inductance of a circuit?

The inductance of a circuit is affected by the number of turns in the coil, the material of the core, the shape and size of the coil, and the frequency of the alternating current flowing through the circuit.

How can inductance be increased or decreased?

Inductance can be increased by adding more turns to the coil, using a ferromagnetic core, or increasing the frequency of the alternating current. It can be decreased by decreasing the number of turns, using a non-magnetic core, or decreasing the frequency.

What are some practical applications of inductance?

Inductance is used in a variety of electronic components such as transformers, motors, and generators. It is also used in communication systems, power grids, and electronic filters. Inductors are also commonly used in circuit design to control the flow of electricity and prevent damage to components.