Finding the intersect of two functions

• Thread starter stevemilw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the equation given describes the trajectory of a water jet with an angle of 50 degrees and a velocity of 6.5m/s. The goal is to find the intersection point of this curve with a line, also starting from 0, with an angle of 35 degrees. The equation is rearranged to solve for x, resulting in a quadratic equation with two solutions. After some calculations, the correct solution is found by correcting the signs in the equation.
stevemilw
I have the following equation which describes a water jets trajectory.

Vx=Cos(50) * 6.5m/s
Vy=Sin(50) * 6.5m/s

x=Vx*t
y=Vy*t-0.5*g*t^2

where t=time

Now, this plots a curve very well starting from zero.

I want a line, starting from 0 also, that intersects the curve.
Now, I have used the equation y=tan(35)*x where x is the distance across the bottom of the graph (x axis) on the adjacent part in the trig.

So, to find the intersect, i need to get the curve equation in terms of x and y instead of y and t, so i have re-arranged; t=x/Vx and subbed into give;

y=Vy*(x/Vx)-0.5*9.81*(x/Vx)^2

If I equal them to one another; tan(50) *x = Vy*(x/Vx)-0.5*9.81*(x/Vx)^2
and re-arrange for x, i get;

(tan(35)*Vx^2)/(-0.5*g)) - ((-Vx*Vy/(0.5*g)) = x = 0

Now, there is an intersect at 0, but not the one i want.

Attached is a graph of both the line and curve, with 50 degrees angle on the jet, and 35 degrees on the line.

Please help, I've been stuck on this alllll day, and a lot of yesterday too!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    3.1 KB · Views: 482
Physics news on Phys.org
That's a quadratic equation. It has two solution of which x= 0 is one. What is the other?

Its not a quadratic equation because it can't be put into the form of ax^2+bx+c=0 since we have an x on both b and c, so what i have is ax^2+bx+cx=0.

Which is equal to ax^2+ (b+ c)x= 0, a quadratic equation. As I said, x= 0 is one solution, what is the other.

Okay, so where we have a =(0.5*9.81)/(Vx^2) = 0.2929
b =Vy/Vx = 1.19175
c=TAN(35) in degrees

Plugging it all in and checking with calculator and excel, i get x=-0.7119 and x=-3.3568

Neither of which are the intersection.
Also, it is not referring to t or time, because the time range is only from 0-0.5

In the previous comment, i assumed ax^2+bx+cx=0 since that's the form of my equation.
If i calculate, by transforming my equation to ax^2+bx+c=0 by adding both a and b together (because they both have one x) and making it b, and then making c = 0, i get x=0 (promising) but then x=-6.459 which is incorrect.
Driving me insane. I hate not being able to solve a problem.
I will ask my tutor, but she's not in till next week. If anyone has any ideas then please comment.

stevemilw said:
In the previous comment, i assumed ax^2+bx+cx=0 since that's the form of my equation.
If i calculate, by transforming my equation to ax^2+bx+c=0 by adding both a and b together (because they both have one x) and making it b, and then making c = 0, i get x=0 (promising) but then x=-6.459 which is incorrect.
Driving me insane. I hate not being able to solve a problem.
I will ask my tutor, but she's not in till next week. If anyone has any ideas then please comment.

Check the sign of 'a'.

Likes 1 person
Ray Vickson said:
Check the sign of 'a'.

Thanks, i tried subtracting c from b and i got the correct answer! It wasn't the sign of a, i had just simply got the signs wrong, but you pushed me in the right direction.
Seems very simple now!

Related to Finding the intersect of two functions

What is the "intersect" of two functions?

The intersect of two functions is the point at which they cross or intersect on a graph. It represents the solution or solutions to the equation where the two functions are equal.

How do you find the intersect of two functions?

To find the intersect of two functions, set the equations equal to each other and solve for the variable. The resulting value will be the x-coordinate of the intersect. Then, plug this value into either of the original equations to find the y-coordinate.

Can there be more than one intersect of two functions?

Yes, there can be multiple intersects of two functions. This occurs when the two functions intersect at more than one point on a graph. Each intersect represents a solution to the equations being set equal to each other.

What if the two functions do not intersect?

If the two functions do not intersect, this means that there is no solution to the equations being set equal to each other. This could indicate that the two functions do not intersect at all, or that they only intersect at a point outside of the given domain.

Can you find the intersect of two functions algebraically?

Yes, it is possible to find the intersect of two functions algebraically by setting the equations equal to each other and solving for the variable. However, this may not always be feasible or practical, in which case, it may be easier to find the intersect using a graphing calculator or by graphing the equations manually.