• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Finding the Lagrangian Matrix for Two-Spring Systems

Homework Statement

The problem is attached. I'm working on the second system with the masses on a linear spring (not the first system).
I think I solved part (a), but I'm not sure if I did what it was asking for. I'm not sure exactly what the question means by the... L=.5Tnn-.5Vnn. Namely, I'm not sure what the n's are and what they represent, so I'm worried that I'm missing something. I also am not sure about the equillibrium position...
Then I'm pretty sure I can do part (b) and (c), but I'm wondering if I just find the eigenvector and values like a normal linear algebra problem. Do I simply just take the matrix I have and operate on it???
Screen Shot 2018-10-27 at 10.41.39 PM.png

Homework Equations

L=T-V
e^-iwt
d/dt(dL/dqdot)-(dL/dq)

The Attempt at a Solution

Attached (for the second system). I'm pretty sure I can figure out (1) if I figure out (2).
Pt1.png
pt2.png

Attachments

Answers and Replies

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
You didn't do what was asked for in part (a). It's asking you to find two matrices, ##\mathbf T## and ##\mathbf V##, for one thing.

In the Lagrangian, you have for the kinetic energy ##T=\frac 12 m(\dot x_1^2 + \dot x_2^2)##. You can write this as
$$T = \frac 12 \begin{pmatrix}\dot x_1 & \dot x_2 \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} m & 0 \\ 0 & m \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}\dot x_1 \\ \dot x_2 \end{pmatrix}.$$ The matrix of masses is the matrix ##\mathbf T## you're being asked to find. You can express the potential energy similarly in terms of a matrix.