Finding the magnetic field at a point with two wires.

In summary, two parallel wires carrying a current of 2.2 A in the same direction are shown in a figure. The magnitude of the net magnetic field at points A, B, and C can be found using the equation B=(μ*I)/(2*pi*r), where μ=4*pi*10^-7. However, magnetic fields are vector fields and require vector addition to calculate the net field at a given point. The right-hand rule for currents and magnetic fields can be used to determine the direction of the field. It is also recommended to use scientific notation for values to avoid leading zeros and manage significant figures.
cndman

Homework Statement

Two parallel wires, each carrying a current of 2.2 A in the same direction, are shown in the figure . Find the magnitude of the net magnetic field at points A, B, and C.

Walker4e.ch22.Pr088.jpg

Homework Equations

B=(μ*I)/(2*pi*r)

μ=4*pi*10^-7

The Attempt at a Solution

I believed I could simply calculate the magnetic field from each of the two wires then add up them up so

B=(μ*2.2)/(2*pi*.075)= .000059

B=(μ*2.2)/(2*pi*.225)= .000002

Answer is in μT so I've tried 61, .000061, 57, ect.

I know B is 0.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cndman said:

Homework Statement

Two parallel wires, each carrying a current of 2.2 A in the same direction, are shown in the figure . Find the magnitude of the net magnetic field at points A, B, and C.

Walker4e.ch22.Pr088.jpg

Homework Equations

B=(μ*I)/(2*pi*r)

μ=4*pi*10^-7

The Attempt at a Solution

I believed I could simply calculate the magnetic field from each of the two wires then add up them up so

B=(μ*2.2)/(2*pi*.075)= .000059

B=(μ*2.2)/(2*pi*.225)= .000002

Answer is in μT so I've tried 61, .000061, 57, ect.

I know B is 0.

Magnetic fields are vector fields. That means they have directions as well as magnitudes. You need to take the field directions into account when you add them at a given point (vector addition). Do you recall learning about the right-hand rule for currents and magnetic fields?

You might also consider using scientific notation for your values to avoid all those leading zeros and to manage appropriate significant figures in the values.

1. How do I calculate the magnetic field at a point with two wires?

The magnetic field at a point with two wires can be calculated by using the formula μ0/4π * (I1L1 + I2L2)/R, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I1 and I2 are the currents in the wires, L1 and L2 are the lengths of the wires, and R is the distance between the point and the wires.

2. What is the direction of the magnetic field at a point with two wires?

The direction of the magnetic field at a point with two wires can be determined by using the right-hand rule. If the currents in the wires are in the same direction, the magnetic field will be in the same direction. If the currents are in opposite directions, the magnetic field will be in the opposite direction.

3. How does the distance between the wires affect the magnetic field at a point?

The magnetic field at a point with two wires is inversely proportional to the distance between the wires. This means that as the distance between the wires increases, the magnetic field at the point will decrease, and vice versa.

4. Can the magnetic field at a point be negative?

Yes, the magnetic field at a point with two wires can be negative. This occurs when the currents in the wires are in opposite directions, resulting in a cancellation of the magnetic fields and a negative net magnetic field at the point.

5. How can I use this equation in real-life situations?

This equation for finding the magnetic field at a point with two wires can be applied in many real-life situations, such as in the design of electrical circuits, motors, and generators. It is also useful in understanding the behavior of magnetic fields in everyday objects, such as speakers and compasses.